1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atwood Machine Problem

1. Jun 30, 2014 #1
    1. A 77.00 Nt object (denoted as object 1) rests on the ground. A light cord is connected to this object which runs vertically upward over a light frictionless pulley and is attached to another object denoted as object 2.

a) Calculate the force that the ground exerts on object 1 if object 2 is 30 N.

b) Calculate the force that the ground exerts on object 1 if object 2 is 60 N.

c) Calculate the force that the ground exerts on object 1 if object 2 is 90 N.

http://imgur.com/cVEQW07 http://imgur.com/cVEQW07

g (m1 - m2) / (m1) + m2 = ay

I drew FBD's for both of the weights and solved for the acceleration for situation a. I then used the equation w - t = ma and solved for the tension value, I then subtracted the tension value from the original weight of object 1, and I got 33.88 N.

I feel like this is the wrong way of solving the problem because once you get to situation c, you would have a negative force which can't be possible.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2014 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That seems to be a correct result for part c. -- but ...

If the ground can't produce a negative (downward) force on m1, then what do you suppose happens to the system?

attachment.png

Attached Files:

4. Jun 30, 2014 #3
    The system would change where object 1 would be "in the air" correct?

5. Jun 30, 2014 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, so the ground will exert what force on m1?

6. Jun 30, 2014 #5
    It would have to be 0 Newton's. If I'm correct about that, then I already assumed that, however I rethought my approach on part a and b.

I redid the FBD's for (a) and (b) and added the two equations for Newton's second law, and the tensions canceled each other out, leaving me with w1 - w2 = Fn. From there I calculated that in situation (a), the force that the ground exerts is 47 Newton's, and in situation (b) it would be 17 Newton's.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  7. Jun 30, 2014 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That all looks good!

8. Jun 30, 2014 #7
    Thank you so much for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted