Atwood Machine Problem: Analyzing Friction & KE

In summary, the conversation discusses the analysis of an Atwood machine with the consideration of friction and kinetic energy of the pulley. The question of which factor is more important depends on the specific setup, and determining the friction force in a scenario with an initial pull requires more data. The conversation also touches on the concept of torque and the use of constrained motion relationships in solving the problem. Finally, the conversation clarifies that the presence of friction will not make a difference in an Atwood machine where the rope does not slip over the pulley.
tigigi
I'm actually grading this stuff, and have a question. Ideally there's no friction and no kinetic energy of pulley. If we take them into account, which one is more important? I wonder how to analyze this? Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can compare the energy lost from friction to the energy of the kinetic energy of the pulley and rope.
Which one will win depends on the specific setup.

Thanks. And if there's initial pull to give a bit speed in the beginning, how to know the friction from this experiment?

I don't understand that question at all. What do you know, what do you want to find?

The situation was, two objects with same mass release at the same height without initial velocity. But now it gives the object a little pull ( I guess it means it gives it some initial velocity) then how can you find / decide friction force from this situation.

You have to know more about the system - like the force of this pull and the resulting acceleration. To distinguish between friction and the kinetic energy in the pulley, you'll need even more data, like measurements with different external forces.

Thanks. I'll see the manual again on Monday, and I'll post the exact complete situation and question from it. It seems to be something simpler, no need to know the exact force pulling it.

By kinetic energy on the pulley, if you mean rotational kinetic energy and that the pulley has a mass then we have to solve the problem in totally different way.
try considering the toque acting on the pulley due to the tension (if the two hanging masses are different) and then solving a problem

PLease note:- NO ONE asks question on atwood machine when the rope slips over the pulley. So even if there is friction, it won't make ANY difference as the rope doesn't slip on the pulley.
The only difference comes when the pulley is not massless and then we have to use the concept of torque to solve it.

PS:- if you meant by kinetic energy that the pulley is also moving i.e the pulley is attached to another pulley, then try using constrained motion relationships and solve the problem

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for these answers. I take a look at the question and figure you can find total energy loss from the data, graph, and from there find friction, which cause the energy loss. The initial pull (more conceptual) means overcomeing static friction, so the energy loss is due to only kinetic friction.

1. What is an Atwood machine?

An Atwood machine is a simple mechanical device that consists of two masses connected by a string or cable that runs over a pulley. It is used to demonstrate principles of motion and forces.

2. How does an Atwood machine work?

In an Atwood machine, one mass is typically larger than the other. Gravity causes the heavier mass to accelerate downwards, while the lighter mass accelerates upwards. This creates tension in the string or cable, which can be used to calculate the forces and acceleration of the system.

3. How is friction involved in analyzing an Atwood machine problem?

Friction is a force that acts in the opposite direction of motion and can affect the acceleration and velocity of the masses in an Atwood machine. In order to accurately analyze the system, the effects of friction must be taken into account.

4. What is the role of kinetic energy in an Atwood machine problem?

Kinetic energy is the energy of motion and is an important factor in analyzing an Atwood machine problem. As the masses accelerate, they gain kinetic energy, which can be calculated and used to determine the overall energy of the system.

5. How do you solve an Atwood machine problem?

To solve an Atwood machine problem, you must first draw a free-body diagram to identify all the forces acting on the masses. Then, using Newton's second law and the equations for friction and kinetic energy, you can set up and solve equations to determine the acceleration, tensions, and other variables in the system.