Atwood Machine pulley homework

In summary, the conversation discusses a pulley system with mass Mp and radius Rp attached to the ceiling, with no friction and in a gravity field of 9.81 m/s2. Mass M2 is larger than mass m1 and quantities Tn and g are magnitudes. The summary then goes on to list six statements and their corresponding options, with the final statement being incorrect. The correct answers are: 1) equal to, 2) less than, 3) less than, 4) true, 5) greater than, 6) greater than.
gummybeargirl

Homework Statement

A pulley with mass Mp and a radius Rp is attached to the ceiling, in a gravity field of 9.81 m/s2 and rotates with no friction about its pivot.
Mass M2 is larger than mass m1. The quantities Tn and g are magnitudes.
1) The magnitude of the acceleration of m1 is ... that of M2.
2) T1 is ... T2;
3) T3 is ... m1g + M2g + Mpg.
4) The C.M. of Mp+M1+M2 accelerates.
5) T3 is ... T1 + T2
6) T1 is ... m1g.
Each has the options of True/False/Less than/Greater than/Equal to

2. The attempt at a solution
1) Equal to
2) Greater than
3) Equal to
4) False
5) Greater than
6) Equal

Attachments

• prob23_Atwood2.gif
    prob23_Atwood2.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 1,188
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey there -- could you explain your reasoning for each of your answers? It's policy for the forums, and it helps us determine whether your answers are correct.

Nevermind! I was able to figure out the answer. It was:
1) equal to
2) less than
3) less than
4) true
5) greater than
6) greater than

I think you still have one incorrect answer.

dauto said:
I think you still have one incorrect answer.

I agree. I see one answer that doesn't agree with the situation.

It is online homework and the program said all my answers were correct.

1. What is an Atwood Machine?

An Atwood Machine is a simple mechanical device that consists of two masses connected by a string or rope that passes over a pulley. It is used to demonstrate principles of motion and force in physics.

2. How does an Atwood Machine work?

An Atwood Machine works by balancing the forces acting on each of the masses. The force of gravity on each mass causes the masses to accelerate in opposite directions, but the tension in the string or rope keeps them from moving. The pulley allows the string to change direction without stretching or breaking.

3. What is the purpose of using a pulley in an Atwood Machine?

The pulley in an Atwood Machine allows the string to change direction without stretching or breaking. This allows the masses to move freely without any additional resistance, making it easier to calculate the forces and acceleration involved.

4. How do you calculate the acceleration in an Atwood Machine?

The acceleration in an Atwood Machine can be calculated using the formula a = (m1-m2)g / (m1+m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses on either side of the pulley and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This formula assumes that the mass on one side is greater than the other.

5. What factors can affect the acceleration in an Atwood Machine?

The acceleration in an Atwood Machine can be affected by several factors, including the masses of the objects, the mass ratio between the two objects, and the friction or resistance in the pulley or string. Changes in any of these factors can impact the acceleration of the system.