1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Atwood's Machine

1. Apr 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The two masses (m1 = 5.2 kg and m2 = 2.6 kg) in the Atwood's machine shown in The Figure are released from rest, with m1 at a height of 0.79 m above the floor. When m1 hits the ground its speed is 1.7 m/s.

Assuming that the pulley is a uniform disk with a radius of 12 cm, outline a strategy that allows you to find the mass of the pulley.

Determine the pulley's mass.

2. Relevant equations
    Rotational Kinetic Energy: K + (1/2)Iw2
    Conservation of Energy: Ki + Ui = Kf + Uf

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am more or less stumped on this problem. Information that is known is that v0 = 1.7 m/s and vf = 0. The Ei = mgh (I think since the system starts at rest and m1 has Gravitation Potential Energy). Ef = (1/2)mv2 + (1/2)Iw2. All this is speculation since I am grasping at a way to solve this problem.

Also, from looking at other related problems people tend to find acceleration through the Kinematics v2 - v02/2(x - x0). However, I am not sure how to apply the acceleration of m1, all I know is that it translates through the pulley system.

Another possible acceleration I found was a = [(m1 - m2)/(m1 + m2)]g. This formula brought up a different acceleration than the previous, but once again I am not certain how to apply it.

Reassurance that I am on the right route, and a hint would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2010 #2
    What is the question? Your problem is nothing but stated facts, and there is no question. Literally, not a single question mark.
  4. Apr 27, 2010 #3
    Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I have spent so much time belaboring the issue through my mind that I completely forgot to actually spell out the question.

Although, no question marks does not mean there exist no questions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook