Find Mass of Pulley in Atwood's Machine Homework

• Thread starter Tanahagae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary, the conversation discusses an Atwood's machine with two masses and a pulley, and the goal is to find the mass of the pulley. Possible approaches include using the rotational kinetic energy equation and the conservation of energy equation, as well as finding the acceleration using kinematics equations. The speaker asks for reassurance and a hint for solving the problem.
Tanahagae

Homework Statement

The two masses (m1 = 5.2 kg and m2 = 2.6 kg) in the Atwood's machine shown in The Figure are released from rest, with m1 at a height of 0.79 m above the floor. When m1 hits the ground its speed is 1.7 m/s.

Assuming that the pulley is a uniform disk with a radius of 12 cm, outline a strategy that allows you to find the mass of the pulley.

Determine the pulley's mass.

Homework Equations

Rotational Kinetic Energy: K + (1/2)Iw2
Conservation of Energy: Ki + Ui = Kf + Uf

The Attempt at a Solution

I am more or less stumped on this problem. Information that is known is that v0 = 1.7 m/s and vf = 0. The Ei = mgh (I think since the system starts at rest and m1 has Gravitation Potential Energy). Ef = (1/2)mv2 + (1/2)Iw2. All this is speculation since I am grasping at a way to solve this problem.

Also, from looking at other related problems people tend to find acceleration through the Kinematics v2 - v02/2(x - x0). However, I am not sure how to apply the acceleration of m1, all I know is that it translates through the pulley system.

Another possible acceleration I found was a = [(m1 - m2)/(m1 + m2)]g. This formula brought up a different acceleration than the previous, but once again I am not certain how to apply it.

Reassurance that I am on the right route, and a hint would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the question? Your problem is nothing but stated facts, and there is no question. Literally, not a single question mark.

Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I have spent so much time belaboring the issue through my mind that I completely forgot to actually spell out the question.

Although, no question marks does not mean there exist no questions.

1) How do I find the mass of the pulley in Atwood's Machine?

To find the mass of the pulley in Atwood's Machine, you will need to use the equation: M = (m1 - m2)(g - a)/a, where M represents the mass of the pulley, m1 and m2 represent the masses of the two objects attached to the pulley, g represents the acceleration due to gravity, and a represents the acceleration of the system. You will also need to know the values of g and a, which can be found using a force sensor or by measuring the distance the system travels over a certain time period.

2) Why is it important to find the mass of the pulley in Atwood's Machine?

Finding the mass of the pulley in Atwood's Machine is important because it affects the overall acceleration and forces acting on the system. This information is crucial in understanding the behavior of the system and making accurate predictions.

3) What is Atwood's Machine?

Atwood's Machine is a simple physics experiment that consists of a pulley, a string, and two masses attached to each end of the string. It is used to study the principles of Newton's laws of motion and the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration.

4) Can I use Atwood's Machine to find the mass of any object?

No, Atwood's Machine is specifically designed to find the mass of the pulley in the system. It is not an accurate method for finding the mass of other objects.

5) What are some sources of error when finding the mass of the pulley in Atwood's Machine?

Some sources of error when finding the mass of the pulley in Atwood's Machine include friction in the pulley, air resistance, and errors in measurement. It is important to minimize these sources of error to obtain accurate results.