ATX Power Connector Footprint: 20, 24, 4 Pins | Guide

• Thread starter fidel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, when using ATX power from a PC as a source for devices, the footprint of the connectors must be determined, such as the 20pin, 24pin, and 4pin connectors. This information can be found by referencing the PC98 specs. Additionally, it is important to note that PC power supplies have a minimum output current on one or more rails in order to function properly. It is recommended to check the datasheet of the power supply to ensure that the minimum output load current is met. Some manufacturers may not provide detailed specifications, making it difficult to utilize the power supply as a lab bench supply.
fidel
I want to use atx power from my pc as the source for my devices. How can i decide the footprint of the connectors, e.g. those with 20pins, 24pins, 4pins, ... Maybe i can goooogle them out using their formal names, but, :confused: what are they?

Engineering news on Phys.org
get the dimensions from the pc98 specs.

Also, keep in mind that PC power supplies generally have a minimum output current on one or more rails in order to stay in regulation. You generally won't be able to use them as a lab bench supply, unless you are careful to ballast up the outputs to their minimum output current when there is no other load. Just check the datasheet for the power supply you are considering, and look for the "minimum output load current" specification.

Thank you. I've got the definition :)

Concerning the minimum output current required, I once connected PS_ON# to ground as the connector was floating, and the fan did run. But I didn't test the output voltage, so I don't know if the power was working properly then. And it seems the manufacturers haven't provided detailed specification. What a pity if they can't be utilized in lab:(

What is the purpose of the ATX power connector footprint?

The ATX power connector footprint is used to provide power to a computer's motherboard, allowing it to function properly.

What is the difference between the 20, 24, and 4 pin ATX power connectors?

The number of pins on an ATX power connector determines the amount of power that can be delivered to the motherboard. The 20 pin connector is the standard for older motherboards, while the 24 pin connector is the standard for newer motherboards. The 4 pin connector is used for additional power for the CPU.

Can I use a 24 pin ATX power supply on a motherboard with a 20 pin connector?

Yes, most modern power supplies come with a 24 pin connector that can be split into a 20 pin connector for compatibility with older motherboards. However, it is always best to check your motherboard's manual to confirm compatibility.

How do I know which pins on the ATX power connector correspond to which voltage?

Typically, the pins on the ATX power connector are labeled with their corresponding voltage (3.3V, 5V, 12V). However, if they are not labeled, you can refer to the motherboard's manual or use a multimeter to determine the voltage of each pin.

Can I use a different type of power supply with my ATX motherboard?

It is not recommended to use a different type of power supply with an ATX motherboard. The ATX power supply is specifically designed to provide the necessary power and voltage to the motherboard, and using a different type of power supply may damage the components.