Can Audio Cancellation Occur in Space?

In summary, two waves that are 180 degrees out of phase will not cancel each other out. You will need to use a T shaped pipe with sound pushed through the top ends and the mike at the bottom to create a partial but noticeable cancellation.
Apoorv_7

Homework Statement

I created a 180 degree phase shifted version of a song using matlab. They cancel each other out when i play them together using any mixer software,but do not do so when i play the actual and the shifted versions from different sources.

Homework Equations

Is this possible.Can they cancel each other out in space?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
When you say, "I play the actual and the shifted versions from different sources", I take that to mean that you are playing each through a speaker and listening to the result.

Assuming that is the case, the problem you will have is that you need to have both ears positioned an equal distance from each speaker (so that the phase and time delay are the same for both) and both must be of equal amplitude. Moreover, echoes created by the walls of the room and other items will still be heard - so an anechoic environment would be needed.

This is not an easy set up to arrange.

.Scott said:
When you say, "I play the actual and the shifted versions from different sources", I take that to mean that you are playing each through a speaker and listening to the result.

Assuming that is the case, the problem you will have is that you need to have both ears positioned an equal distance from each speaker (so that the phase and time delay are the same for both) and both must be of equal amplitude. Moreover, echoes created by the walls of the room and other items will still be heard - so an anechoic environment would be needed.

This is not an easy set up to arrange.
Thanks for the suggestion.
I have been thinking of using a pipe and placing the two speakers on the ends and somehow keeping a microphone in the center.
Will an arrangement like this be beneficial?

If two waves are 180 degrees out of phase they won't cancel unless they are pure sine waves. If you have two opposite polarity waves (e.g. balanced audio signal) they would be in phase but still cancel each other out.

Likes Merlin3189
Apoorv_7 said:
Thanks for the suggestion.
I have been thinking of using a pipe and placing the two speakers on the ends and somehow keeping a microphone in the center.
Will an arrangement like this be beneficial?
Yes. You may want a T shaped pipe with sound pushed through the top ends and the mike at the bottom. By adjusting the volume, you should be able to get that to work. Perhaps not creating silence, but at least a partial but very noticeable cancellation.

Apoorv_7 said:
I created a 180 degree phase shifted version of a song using matlab. They cancel each other out when i play them together using any mixer software,but do not do so when i play the actual and the shifted versions from different sources.
Make sure you pass the two versions through identical amplifiers, otherwise there may be phase shifts you hadn't anticipated.

If you were to perform your tests outside in the open air over an expanse of lawn I think reflections should not be a problem.

1. Can sound travel in a vacuum?

No, sound requires a medium to travel through, and a vacuum does not have a medium for sound waves to propagate.

2. Can sound be heard in space?

No, as there is no medium for sound to travel through, it cannot be heard in space.

3. Can sound be cancelled in space?

Yes, sound cancellation can occur in space through the use of active noise cancelling technology, which involves creating anti-noise waves to cancel out the original sound waves.

4. How does sound cancellation work in space?

Sound cancellation in space works by using specialized equipment that detects and analyzes incoming sound waves, and then creates anti-noise waves to cancel out those sound waves.

5. Are there any natural instances of sound cancellation in space?

No, sound cancellation in space is a man-made phenomenon and does not occur naturally. However, there are areas in space, such as the interstellar medium, where sound waves can be significantly weakened or distorted due to the lack of a medium.