Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Audio chip suggestions

1. Jun 28, 2013 #1
    Hey guys,

I am sure I am going to get some of the same guys on my last thread so, hey!
    I love the 20watt audio circuit with the lm1875 and will eventually pcb it for sure!
    This is another audio questions, but not like last time.

So I want to make a small portable radio/boom box. I mean to emphasize "small."
    I am going to add in an FM circuit with the tda7000 which I have had luck in the past with when I made an fm radio with speaker & headphone jack inside an Altoids can.
    So for the amp I want a "relatively" high output. But not because I want it lound but because if I run a powerful amp not too loudely I can get great quallity.
    So are there any amps you guys recemend that will work at 9v putting out maybe 5-10 watts?
    I am going to do it all stereo and I don't mind doubling up on a mono chip to do so.
    I have been looking at the tda2003, what do you guys think? 9v is running a bit close to minimum vcc but I saw that it was done successfully.
    I thought the tea2025 would be perfect but that darn thing isn't working!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2013 #2
    I've been using the TPA3118 for some personal projects that sound somewhat similar to yours. Its a great sounding amp and TI has eval boards and gerbers available for these chips.

Looks like the TPA3130 might have the specs you're looking for

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpa3118d2.pdf

Assuming you're open to using Class D amps of course

4. Jun 29, 2013 #3
    I appreciate the suggestion, but i'm not really looking for a HI-Fi surface mount class D amp though, This whole thing is going to be a small probably all analog radio, i'm still in the planning area though.

Also, I want to have adjustable bass and treble, I know it is better quality if you do this before the amp, but this is what I was thinking:

(focusing on only one side for now) I am going to have a 2-way crossover going to a small speaker for the highs, and a larger "mini woofer" for the lows,these speakers are in parallel. I had the idea of useing 2 potenciometers one in seriece with each speaker. so then if my crossover is set to 1000hz then I can adjust everything above and bellow 1khz separately.

I tried on my breadboard and it worked fairly, although I don't have the correct pots. Is there a better way of doing this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook