Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Audio Input to Breadboard

1. Apr 25, 2010 #1
    So I have to build a boombox using transistors as amplifiers for my Engineering Electronics class in college and it works and everything. The only thing I have a question about is I want to make my own cord to use my iphone as the audio input signal that is to be amplified. At the lab they have cords that can go into a 3.5mm jack and come out at the other end with two wires; one goes to ground and the other goes to where I input my signal. Can I just split a normal headphones wire and then stick them into my breadboard and it will work? I just dont want to damage my circuit that Ive put effort into. I have a spare pair of headphones I wouldn't mind cutting open. Also would radioshack or any place sell an adapter for something like this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2010 #2
    In a headphone cable should be three wires:

Left Channel

Right Channel

Figure out which wire is which and you should have no problem attaching your iPod/sound device before the amplifier circuitry without damaging it. You can also buy a 3.5mm input jack you can mount on a PCB, if your PCB isn't done yet:

4. Apr 25, 2010 #3
    For audio gadgets, my daughter always has at least one pair of defective headphones, or you can buy new phones for almost nothing. Then, I usually just solder them to high value resistors, using the resistors as leads to poke into the breadboard.

It's also good to have some strain relief because the soldered leads will fatigue and break after a short while. I usually just cut a resistor lead off, wrap it tightly around the around the cable and poke the two ends into the breadboard, side-by-side. It's not very strong, but it will usually work out if you don't tug.
  5. Apr 26, 2010 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook