Solve the Audio Jack Mystery with Nat

In summary, the conversation discusses a strange audio issue experienced while listening to music through headphones. After testing different platforms, it was discovered that a faulty physical connection in the headphones was causing the problem. The discussion also explores the possibility of the connection acting as an antenna and transmitting the audio signal through a small gap.
Natanijel
Hello everyone :)

I came across a strange situation today when I was listening to my music with my headphones on. When I pressed play to a song, the instrumental intro started off fairly normally (although the audio sounded a little "thinner" than usual, as if compressed), and then, when the vocals were meant to kick in, they didn't! I was very surprised since the instruments kept on playing normally!
At first I thought that it was a strange glitch within Spotify, and I thought that maybe they had an odd way of encoding different "layers" of audio. So then I tried iTunes, YouTube etc. and it was the same again...some elements of the sound were there (people talking in the background), and some were completely silent (main character talking). I always thought that audio files, especially ones that would be used for streaming, would only have one waveform (2 for L/R stereo) encoded on them.
When I unplugged my headphones, everything was ok through the speakers, so I suspected a faulty sound driver. After restarting and updating (MacBook Pro), I still had the same issue. I plugged in my headphones into my phone, and to my surprise, the exact same problem occurred. My headphones are not noise cancelling, are not wireless, and receive an analog signal, yet it seems like they selectively, and very accurately, ignore parts of the raw audio signal.
I checked my connection and noticed that the cable that connects to the side of the headphones was slightly unplugged (that should have been the first thing to check! XD), and when I pushed it in properly, everything was fixed.
I simply cannot understand how a bad physical connection like that can be so precise in cancelling very specific parts of the audio. I doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps the cable to the headphones is acting like an antenna and transmitting the audio signal through that very small gap (the bad connection), and the frequency response my be causing the effect. However, it still wouldn't explain why parts of the audio with similar frequency ranges are still being passed through fine while others are not.
Sorry for the massive post, but I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to the reason :D

Best wishes,
Nat

Engineering news on Phys.org
Natanijel said:
Hello everyone :)

I came across a strange situation today when I was listening to my music with my headphones on. When I pressed play to a song, the instrumental intro started off fairly normally (although the audio sounded a little "thinner" than usual, as if compressed), and then, when the vocals were meant to kick in, they didn't! I was very surprised since the instruments kept on playing normally!
At first I thought that it was a strange glitch within Spotify, and I thought that maybe they had an odd way of encoding different "layers" of audio. So then I tried iTunes, YouTube etc. and it was the same again...some elements of the sound were there (people talking in the background), and some were completely silent (main character talking). I always thought that audio files, especially ones that would be used for streaming, would only have one waveform (2 for L/R stereo) encoded on them.
When I unplugged my headphones, everything was ok through the speakers, so I suspected a faulty sound driver. After restarting and updating (MacBook Pro), I still had the same issue. I plugged in my headphones into my phone, and to my surprise, the exact same problem occurred. My headphones are not noise cancelling, are not wireless, and receive an analog signal, yet it seems like they selectively, and very accurately, ignore parts of the raw audio signal.
I checked my connection and noticed that the cable that connects to the side of the headphones was slightly unplugged (that should have been the first thing to check! XD), and when I pushed it in properly, everything was fixed.
I simply cannot understand how a bad physical connection like that can be so precise in cancelling very specific parts of the audio. I doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps the cable to the headphones is acting like an antenna and transmitting the audio signal through that very small gap (the bad connection), and the frequency response my be causing the effect. However, it still wouldn't explain why parts of the audio with similar frequency ranges are still being passed through fine while others are not.
Sorry for the massive post, but I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to the reason :D

Best wishes,
Nat
It sounds as if you had the 'phones connected between the two channels, between L and R. If you do this, the phones have the difference signal. The difference signal tends to include any incoherent sounds picked up my the microphone, such as room echo. Of course, when the stereo has been artificially doctored, anything is possible. With an ordinary stereo set up, if you connect a rear speaker across L and R, it provides a surround sound effect, because it re-inserts the background and ambience of the concert hall, including audience noise and reverberation.

Likes Natanijel
tech99 said:
It sounds as if you had the 'phones connected between the two channels, between L and R. If you do this, the phones have the difference signal. The difference signal tends to include any incoherent sounds picked up my the microphone, such as room echo. Of course, when the stereo has been artificially doctored, anything is possible. With an ordinary stereo set up, if you connect a rear speaker across L and R, it provides a surround sound effect, because it re-inserts the background and ambience of the concert hall, including audience noise and reverberation.

Ooh! That sounds very convincing. That's probably it then. I'll check to see what happens with a mono signal. Thank you very much for the quick reply! :D

Best wishes,
Nat

If you listen between channels (this is, connect between left and right with no ground), the sounds that are normally centered will be gone.
Generally the bass is centered, and would also go away.

If you listen in mono, every thing will go to center, so then causing the issue will make everything go away.

Likes Natanijel

1. How can I solve the audio jack mystery with Nat?

To solve the audio jack mystery with Nat, you will need to gather all the clues and evidence provided in the story. Be sure to pay attention to details and think critically about the information presented.

2. Who is Nat and why is he involved in this mystery?

Nat is a detective who has been assigned to solve the audio jack mystery. He is an expert in solving puzzles and mysteries and has been brought in to use his skills to crack this case.

3. What is the main objective of solving the audio jack mystery?

The main objective of solving the audio jack mystery is to determine who stole the valuable audio jack and why. It is also important to retrieve the stolen item and bring the culprit to justice.

4. Are there any specific tools or techniques that can help in solving this mystery?

Yes, there are several tools and techniques that can be used to solve the audio jack mystery. Some common techniques include deductive reasoning, critical thinking, and evidence analysis. It may also be helpful to use tools such as a magnifying glass or a flashlight to examine clues more closely.

5. Is there a time limit for solving the audio jack mystery?

No, there is no specific time limit for solving the audio jack mystery. However, the longer it takes to solve the mystery, the greater the chance of the culprit getting away with the crime. It is important to work efficiently and effectively to solve the mystery in a timely manner.