Understanding a Resistive Power Divider for Audio Amplifiers

In summary, the Resistive power splitter/divider allows two loads to be connected to one source of power. The resistive network helps to balance the load, and the max power transfer theorem can be used to determine the appropriate resistor values.
FrankJ777
I have to hook up two audio amplifiers to one audio source. According to the instructions I've been given, I need to build a resistive power divider/splitter with 3 Z0/2 resistors in a wye configuration to connect them. I have to admit that I don't understand why or how the power splitter works. I've taken a few EE courses a while back including xmission lines and circuit analysis, but I'm not sure what approach to take to analyze the power splitter and its function. It seems that to use the wave approach would be wrong as audio wavelengths are so long as compared to RF. Using circuits I & II maximum power transfer approach, I don't see the point of adding the resistive network. I've found schematics on what I need to do. I just want to understand how it works. Hope some one can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm confused... You have one signal source and two amplifiers. If the source is audio-line-level (~1v) and the amplifiers have line level inputs, you can just run the inputs in parallel. But all the talk of resistor networks makes me think that you perhaps have the output of some other amp (which might go to a speaker) as your source? Or maybe a 70v PA distribution system? Can you sketch a schematic to make things clearer for my addled little mind?

I think you are correct in assuming that you don't need to use RF line matching techniques.

Here's a a rough diagram of what I'm trying to do. Already the balanced audio from a telephone E&M card is connected to the telephone equipment. I want to also connect the audio line to the Low Z mic input of a public adress system amplifier. The resistive network(power divider) on the side is what I'm told to use as a bridge.

I understand the max power transfer theorem, but I don't see how that applies.

I'd really liketo brush up on my understanding, and apply what I've learned before, but I have no idea how to approach this.

Thanks a lot for the patience.

Attachments

• audio bridge.jpg
    audio bridge.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 401
i have done this before, for RG-58, and used a delta connection rather than a wye. But let me discuss your wye.

If both of your loads were 600 ohm, then the forward load impedance at the node would be 0.5( 1.5 Z0) = 0.75 Z0 (i.e., 900/2 = 450 ohms). Adding the series Z0/2 gives me 1.25 Z0 (i.e., 750 ohms) for the load as seen by the "E&M" source. This is too high. If the mic input impedance is very low, then the E&M sees only 525 ohms. If I put an additional series resistor =Z0 in the mic input, this would raise the load seen by E&M back up to 750 ohms.

What backward-looking impedance do you want the two output loads (telephone and low-Z mic) to see? What you have is a resistor wye circuit with 3 unknown resistors, and 3 desired input impedances (into the wye). Solve it.

Bob S

1. What is an audio power divider analysis?

An audio power divider analysis is a process used to divide an audio signal into two or more output signals with a specific power distribution. This allows for multiple speakers or devices to be connected to a single audio source.

2. How does an audio power divider work?

An audio power divider works by using electronic components, such as resistors and capacitors, to divide the audio signal into different output signals with varying power levels. This allows for efficient distribution of power to multiple audio devices.

3. What are the benefits of using an audio power divider?

The main benefit of using an audio power divider is the ability to connect multiple speakers or devices to a single audio source without sacrificing sound quality. It also allows for better power distribution and can prevent overload or damage to audio equipment.

4. Are there different types of audio power dividers?

Yes, there are different types of audio power dividers, including passive and active dividers. Passive dividers use only passive components and do not require external power, while active dividers use active components and require an external power source.

5. How do I choose the right audio power divider for my setup?

The right audio power divider will depend on your specific audio setup and needs. Factors to consider include the number of output signals needed, power distribution requirements, and the type of audio equipment being used. It is best to consult with a professional or do thorough research before making a decision.