Audio Ripper

• Thread starter madmike159
  • Start date
madmike159
Gold Member
Does any one know where I can get a good free tool that takes the audio from video. I found some but they only do 1/2 of what you want or up to 30 seconds.

Answers and Replies

robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
What kind of video?
mplayer should be able to do it.

madmike159
Gold Member
Probaly AVI, definatly one that can be played in WMP. I have WMP 10, how would I do it in there?

FredGarvin
Science Advisor
I used to do it using plain old Windows sound recorder. Have that recording in the background at the same time as the video is playing. It seemed to work OK for me. I used this to pull some songs off of movies on DVD.

robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I used to do it using plain old Windows sound recorder. Have that recording in the background at the same time as the video is playing. It seemed to work OK for me. I used this to pull some songs off of movies on DVD.
Although that works, there might be some loss of quality since your method probably has to undergo some digital->analog->digital conversions... as well as be done in real-time [the full-duration of the media].

If the movie is AVI (or WMV or MPG.. possibly with the aid of free plugins), you might be able to extract the digital audio content with http://www.virtualdub.org/ . Open the video file in VirtualDub... File->Extract Wav... Admittedly, this might be overkill for this task... but I use VirtualDub for a lot of my videoediting tasks.

I've always just used Audacity. I take a cord and connect the headphone output and then put the other end in the microphone input. It has worked fine for me every time so far.

robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I've always just used Audacity. I take a cord and connect the headphone output and then put the other end in the microphone input. It has worked fine for me every time so far.
While this also works, there's now the possibility of introducing electrical noise (e.g., hum) into the audio recording. This must also be done in the full-duration of the media.

One other possible problem with these "recording" (as opposed to extracting) techniques is that it's possible to [momentarily?] mess up your recordings if your computer somehow gets distracted [heavy disk access or cpu usage by other programs] while recording.

Last edited:
madmike159
Gold Member
Yea it does make it sound quite bad.