Is There a Better Solution for Surround Sound? Download Now!

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Audio
In summary: If you use WMP for all your media playback, I would recommend saving the $10 price difference and going for iQms2. However, if you use a variety of players, the universal solution QMax provides is well worth the additional expenditure. Yep, I've got both applications. Thanks for the info! :)
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have a notebook with two external speakers, and I would like to get a sound experience as if there were around me. SRS has a really cool technology: TruSurround, where this can be accomplished with two speakers.. but they don't seem to have any downloads (only a demo which sounds really cool!)

The one download they have requires a system with a mimimum of 4 speakers and costs 16 bucks.

Are there any good downloads available for XP? I already checked system updates, but didn't find anything.

And if I find one, will the plug-in work with DVD movies? Or is it standard that these movies are protected against the use of those plug-ins?

Computer science news on Phys.org
1) System Updates? Why would you look there? Odd...

2) Anyway, if you want TruSurround support for your dvd then i suggest getting PowerDvd by Cyberlink. They have a demo on their site you can download There is also a TruSurround plugin called WOW Thing for winamp at (http://classic.winamp.com/plugins/detail.jhtml?componentId=1724 ). The plugin is a fully working shareware version with a nag screen.

If your into FREE, then visit your local P2P neighborhood.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) That is where I found the SRS stuff..
2) Great, I'll give that a try!

And what is P2P? peer to peer? And I really have no clue which direction to go to find that neigbourhood :) or you just mean friends? lol, I DO know a few things about computers..

I hated winamp.. Isn't there something for Windows Media Player 9?

I thought you knew a few things about computers.

When in doubt do a google search:

http://www.strata-media.com/wow/plugin_main.html

They have a WOW Thing plugin for winamp, windows media player , and quicktime.

I said a FEW :) We can't all be as smart as you. The website for downloading is not working btw.

If that link isn't working then try this one

http://www.srs-store.com/store-plugins/mall/csiiplugintrial.asp

Yeah, the trial is nice, I tried it before, but it doens't work with DVDs..

does windows media player work with dvds in the first place?

I know you need to install a dvd codec for it to work. Then you can use the plugin.

If not, download a copy of powerdvd from kazaa.

I have got powerDVD 4.0 and yes, DVDs can be played in Windows Media Player 9. There is something with DVDs which disables plugins to work, I am not sure why that is done.. something with copywright protection or something. I am wondering if there are any applications that can override this. I've sent an email to a company which sells iQms2 and QMAXII which look interesting..

In order to get good sound in powerdvd, I first need to buy a upgrade to 5.0 and then buy a sound system that will work with that.

Ah! Cool! I just found out that Windows Media Player 9 has standard a SRS sound-effects plugin that can be activated.. so that is working now.. although still not for DVDs.

Well, for whom is interested, the reply from Q sound labs:

Hello,

The answer is "yes." :-)

Either of these two programs will enhance playback with Windows Media Player (WMP).

iQms2 is a "plug-in" for WMP and therefore only works within that program. The plug-in approach has certain advantages including high reliability and the fact that, once installed, the plug-in will launch and shut down automatically along with WMP; it is only running when you need it.

QMax II is a stand-alone program that enhances not only WMP but virtually any other player's output as well. However, since QMax intercepts audio streams outside of the player application, it must be launched ahead of the player and closed down only after exiting the player. The most convenient way of doing this is to configure the program to run automatically at startup and leave it running, which does consume a small amount of computing resources.

If you use WMP for all your media playback, I would recommend saving the $10 price difference and going for iQms2. However, if you use a variety of players, the universal solution QMax provides is well worth the additional expenditure.

The audio enhancement features of the two programs are identical as they are based on the same software processing engine.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

QSound Labs Tech Support

I am still not sure why their plug-in WOULD work, while other plug-ins are inactivated with DVDs, so we'll see what he replies.

Here is a tutorial to get SRS to work under powerdvd XP 4 directly from cyberlink:

http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/products/powerdvd/tips_tricks/optimize_sound/2speakers.jsp

:) Thank you for you interest dduardo, first of all :) Unfortunately, those extra sound features are not available, I'd have to buy an audio package from PowerDVD, and in order to do that, I need to upgrade to version 5.0.

I got an email from back from Qlab:

Hello again,

Those are excellent questions.

If you have a multi-channel setup and WMP is playing 5.1 channel audio, it likely does disable stereo plug-ins like iQms2.

Likewise the answer to the PowerDVD question would probably be dependent on whether/not you have a multi-channel playback capability, and therefore whether PowerDVD is outputting multiple channels vs a stereo downmix.

At present we don't offer a software enhancer with multi-channel
capabilities; these features are only available with QSound-enabled hardware such as the Philips "Edge" line of sound cards.

I'll do some further research and get back to you.

QSound Labs Tech Support

He thought my questions were excellent great guys over there.

Before you tell me to :) I've looked up the features of PowerDVD:

Your Cyberlink PowerDVD Version is 4.0
Audio Capabilities:
Number of Channels: 2
Support SRS TruSurround XT: No
Support Dolby Pro Logic II: No
Support DTS Digital Surround: No
Support Dolby Headphone: No
Support Dolby Virtual Speaker: No
Support Multi-Channel Environment Impression: No
Your version of PowerDVD is lower than PowerDVD 5.0. In order to add Audio Packs you will need to upgrade to PowerDVD 5.0 first.

:P

ok, then download powerdvd 5 from kazaa if powerdvd 4 isn't cutting it.

1. What is an audio surround download?

An audio surround download is a digital file that contains audio data encoded in a surround sound format. This means that the audio is divided into multiple channels (typically 5.1 or 7.1) and allows for a more immersive listening experience.

2. How is an audio surround download different from a regular audio download?

An audio surround download differs from a regular audio download in that it contains more channels of audio data, allowing for a more immersive listening experience. Regular audio downloads typically only contain two channels of audio (left and right).

3. What devices are compatible with audio surround downloads?

Audio surround downloads can be played on any device that supports surround sound playback, such as home theater systems, soundbars, and some headphones. It is important to check the compatibility of your device before downloading.

4. Are there different types of audio surround downloads?

Yes, there are different types of audio surround downloads, such as Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Atmos. These formats have different levels of sound quality and may require specific devices for playback.

5. Can I convert a regular audio download into an audio surround download?

No, it is not possible to convert a regular audio download into an audio surround download. The audio data would need to be originally encoded in a surround sound format for it to be considered an audio surround download.