1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Audio transformers?

1. Sep 17, 2010 #1
    Well the next step in my coilgun is a decent power source i every camera circuit that i use is burned up so i thought that i use a transformer well a audio transformer as the voltage multiplier but i cant seem to wire it right it actually doesn't charge the capacitors so i was wondering if it is possible for someone to help me i already did some searching around but all i could fine where main transformers.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2010 #2
    What circuit schematic are you using now? If for example, you are trying to charge twenty 120-uF capacitors in parallel to 300 volts, the total stored energy is ~5.4 joules, so you will need a dc-dc converter that will run on a 12-volt battery and run @1 amp input for 1 sec (12 joules), or @100 mA for 10 sec to charge the caps. Ideal dc-dc converters made for this purpose are in the automotive CD (capacitor discharge) ignition circuits, such as the old (now discontinued) "Mark Ten B" kits made by Delta (or equivalent).

[added] here is a possible dc dc converter circuit for 12 volts to 300 volts.

http://www.eleccircuit.com/dc-power-supply-300v-from-battery-12v/ [Broken]

The transformer appears to be a standard 60 Hz 120 V to 12 V CT (center-tapped) transformer.

Bob S

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Sep 20, 2010 #3
    Here in thumbnail is a LTspice simulation of the circuit suggested in the previous post. The voltage output into the transformer is a 24-volt square wave at ~150 Hz. If a standard 60-Hz 120V to 12V (10:1 turns ratio) transformer is used, the 24-volt square wave represents about 2.2 times more volt-seconds at 60 Hz and would saturate the transformer core, so the LTspice circuit is running at ~150 Hz. This would increase the lamination losses (which scale as ω2) by a factor of ~6.3, so a standard 120V to 12V transformer is probably not appropriate.

The transformer in the simulation has a 1:10 pri-sec turn ratio with a center-tapped primary. The rectified dc output is about 360 volts into 10,000 ohms (36 milliamps).

More appropriate transformers would be a 120V-to-24V CT 60-Hz transformer (which would reduce the dc output to ~180V), or an audio output transformer with thinner laminations. In either case, a spice simulation and/or bench test is recommended.

[added] The waveform in the second thumbnail represents the first 250 ms of the Vac (unrectified) output.

(Request to moderator- Pls move to the EE forum. Thanks)

Bob S

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook