1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Augmented Matrices

1. Jan 11, 2007 #1
    Before anyone comments, the template which you provide does not appear in the writing box for some reason...thus, I'll have to write out my question differently!

When a 3 by 3 matrix is in echelon form, what does it mean when the last row has two zeros on the far right side and two real numbers on the other side so that it looks like this: 0 0 1|3
    I know when the entire row consists of zeros, the unknowns have no solutions, when there is one realy number and the answer is zero the matrix has infinitely many solutions....I'm guessing the above implies that the matrix has one unique solution? right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Note that the zeros are on the *left* hand side of the row!

Anyway, yes there is one solution, namely z=3 (supposing you are using coordinates x,y,z, that is!)

4. Jan 11, 2007 #3
    oops, human error! Thank you Cristo. Had to clarify...

5. Jan 11, 2007 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you using the Nexus skin? If this is the case, the template won't show up because it hasn't been implemented in that skin yet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?