Calculate Potassium Clavulanate Mass in 5mL Oral Suspension

• Thread starter corinnab
  • Start date
In summary, Augmentin ES is a powder containing 600mg of amoxicillin trihydrate and 7.07mg of potassium clavulanate per 5mL of reconstituted aqueous oral suspension. To calculate the mass of potassium clavulanate in 5mL of the suspension, you would need to use the molar mass and molecular formula of potassium clavulanate and find the moles of K in the solution. To prepare a 25ppm (w/v) solution of amoxicillin trihydrate, you would need to calculate the volume of the suspension required to prepare 100mL of the solution, assuming a density of 1kg/L. This can be done by
corinnab
1. Augmentin ES is a powder containing amoxicillin tri hydrate and potassium clavulanate for oral suspension. Each 5mL of reconstituted aqueous oral suspension contains 600mg of amoxicillin trihydrate and 7.07mg of potassium.
Calculate the mass of potassium clavulanate in 5mL of the oral suspension.

What I have found so far
Molar Mass K: 39.1gmol-1
Molar Mass Potassium clavulanate: 237.251gmol-1
Molecular Formula potassium clavulante: C8H8KN05

I think I need to find the moles of K in the 5mL solution and go from there, but I'm not sure how to use the moles of K to solve the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need the molecular formula for the potassium clavulanate.

Also I need to calculate the volume of this suspension required to prepare 100mL of 25ppm(w/v) solution of amoxicillin trihydrate. assume desnity of suspension = 1kgL-1

I'm not sure if what I have done is right:

to get 25ppm I ned 2.5x10-5g/L solute
Conc. of 5mL suspension = 120g/L

Volume required = m/c = 2.5x10-5g/120gL-1 = 2.08x10-8L

Seems right except for the first part, you need to multiply the 100 mL=0.010 L by the 25 ppm to get the amount in grams of amoxicillin trihydrate needed however you need to first convert the ppm to g/L assuming this is what they are referring to by "w/v".

1. How do you calculate the mass of Potassium Clavulanate in a 5mL oral suspension?

To calculate the mass of Potassium Clavulanate in a 5mL oral suspension, you will need to know the concentration of the suspension and the molecular weight of Potassium Clavulanate. Multiply the concentration by the volume (5mL) to get the total mass of the suspension. Then, multiply the total mass by the percentage of Potassium Clavulanate in the suspension to get the mass of Potassium Clavulanate in 5mL.

2. What is the molecular weight of Potassium Clavulanate?

The molecular weight of Potassium Clavulanate is approximately 237.26 g/mol. This can vary slightly depending on the specific form or salt used.

3. How do you determine the concentration of a 5mL oral suspension?

To determine the concentration of a 5mL oral suspension, you will need to know the amount of Potassium Clavulanate in the suspension and the total volume of the suspension. Divide the amount of Potassium Clavulanate by the total volume to get the concentration in units of mass/volume (e.g. mg/mL or g/mL).

4. Can you use this calculation for other medications or substances?

Yes, the same calculation can be used for other medications or substances as long as you know the concentration and molecular weight of the substance in question. However, keep in mind that the molecular weight will vary depending on the specific substance.

5. Why is it important to calculate the mass of Potassium Clavulanate in an oral suspension?

Calculating the mass of Potassium Clavulanate in an oral suspension is important because it allows for accurate dosing and helps ensure that the patient is receiving the prescribed amount of medication. It is also important for quality control purposes and to ensure that the suspension is within acceptable limits for potency.