1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Augmentin question

1. Apr 19, 2008 #1
    1. Augmentin ES is a powder containing amoxicillin tri hydrate and potassium clavulanate for oral suspension. Each 5mL of reconstituted aqueous oral suspension contains 600mg of amoxicillin trihydrate and 7.07mg of potassium.
    Calculate the mass of potassium clavulanate in 5mL of the oral suspension.

What I have found so far
    Molar Mass K: 39.1gmol-1
    Molar Mass Potassium clavulanate: 237.251gmol-1
    Molecular Formula potassium clavulante: C8H8KN05

I think I need to find the moles of K in the 5mL solution and go from there, but I'm not sure how to use the moles of K to solve the problem.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need the molecular formula for the potassium clavulanate.
  4. Apr 19, 2008 #3
    Also I need to calculate the volume of this suspension required to prepare 100mL of 25ppm(w/v) solution of amoxicillin trihydrate. assume desnity of suspension = 1kgL-1

I'm not sure if what I have done is right:

to get 25ppm I ned 2.5x10-5g/L solute
    Conc. of 5mL suspension = 120g/L

Volume required = m/c = 2.5x10-5g/120gL-1 = 2.08x10-8L
  5. Apr 20, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Seems right except for the first part, you need to multiply the 100 mL=0.010 L by the 25 ppm to get the amount in grams of amoxicillin trihydrate needed however you need to first convert the ppm to g/L assuming this is what they are referring to by "w/v".
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?