Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aussie Rules

1. Jul 11, 2006 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2006 #2

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

No mention of the recent State of Origin?:biggrin:

4. Jul 11, 2006 #3
    Now that the World Cup is done, we can soon focus on American Football! Go Eagles! Go Nittany Lions!!

5. Jul 11, 2006 #4

wolram

Gold Member

6. Jul 11, 2006 #5

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What was that TV show where some man would go around to different neighborhoods to see what games were played? He'd interview the kids and find out the rules (if any). There always seemed to be a noticeable difference between the girls' games and the guys' games. The girls usually knew the rules to their games.

Some of the more interesting games the guys played included one where juvenile delinquents in sleeveless T-shirts rode around in the street on their stingray bicycles trying to force each other to run into parked cars. You weren't sure whether to cringe at some kid doing a face plant into the side of a car or run outside to make no one was putting gouges into your own car's paint job.

Another one was "Maul Ball" (also known by cruder names) where whichever kid has the ball is physically assaulted by the rest of the boys in the neighborhood. If he's lucky, somebody has mentioned that there is a safe goal somewhere in the neighborhood. He might even know where the goal is, but it doesn't really matter. No one has ever reached the goal in the entire history of the sport. Through intimidation, tackling, punchery, or trickery, the kid always loses the ball. There's always another kid brave enough to grab the loose ball and take his shot at scoring the first goal in the sport's entire history. The game is usually played until all the players are too exhausted to continue or until the first serious injury, whichever occurs first.

Australian Rules Football reminds me of both of these sports combined into one. The only thing I haven't figured out is why you never see any of the players smoking cigarettes.

7. Jul 11, 2006 #6

Astronuc

We just called it "Tackle the Man with the Ball", which could happen spontaneously. One develops good reflexes in response to such a game. :biggrin:

Loads of fun in the mud and rain. :rofl:

8. Jul 11, 2006 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You must have a short memory. Penn State just used up their "redeemable once a decade" good luck ticket.

9. Jul 11, 2006 #8
    Penn State ran out of season football tickets this year due to a large number of enrolled freshman (to put it into perspective, University Park alone accepted 8,000 frosh this year) making it so some seniors couldn't buy any.

Thanks to an amazing 2005-2006 season as well, which definitely accounted for the quick selling-out. I hear college football is an amazing experience, different from a typical NFL game. I can't wait! Yes, I'm a season ticket-holder.

10. Jul 12, 2006 #9
    Ah, finally a thread I know something about! :wink:

There's been a lot of talk in recent years about how footy stars are role models etc., and the AFL publicists aren't stupid - they know the various lobbies would be all over them if they were seen to endorse smoking. Their attitudes towards women in some cases still need a bit of work if they're going to be good role models, but they're nowhere near as bad as the rugby league players...

11. Jul 12, 2006 #10

Astronuc

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  12. Jul 12, 2006 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Around the mid to late 90's FIFA decided smoking on the field was a cautionable offense. Seeing as how I was a newer referee and mainly refereeing kids games, that always kind of amused me, especially before those U10 girls games.

I still wondered how the issue ever came up in the first place. Maybe a bored goalkeeper or two somewhere along the line.

13. Oct 17, 2006 #12

just to let you all know, well, Malaysia has banned any sponsorships or advertisings by tobacco componies for any sports since 2002 or was it 2003.... but I'm quite shure that it has been sometime.

:approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?