1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Australia and particle physics

1. May 1, 2016 #1
    Hey!
    I am a year 11 student from Australia and I am wanting to take course(s) in particle physics at university/college after high school. I am just wondering where I can do this as I haven't found many universities (In Victoria) that offer this. If anyone has experience from overseas I would love to hear it. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

A quick view on Sidney didn't look too bad. They offer courses where at least the foundations of the topic are taught. To me it seems to be a good starting point. Further information will automatically show up if you will be in such an environment. Until then there's a lot of work left to do, including classical physics and a lot of math (the kind of that is usually not being taught at school).
    http://sydney.edu.au/

4. May 1, 2016 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Particle physics isn't something you start with. All of the particle physicists I now started out with an undergraduate degree in physics and then specialized in graduate school.

5. May 1, 2016 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Choppy is right. (And Fresh 42, Sydney isn't in Victoria - it's in New South Wales; Victoria universities would be Melbourne and Monash)

6. May 1, 2016 #5

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I know. I just looked up a university I was quite sure of it has a good physics department. And it's still closer than "overseas".

7. May 1, 2016 #6

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Melbourne university is The Place To Be in Australia for particle physics. They have a rather large, vibrant group that works on the ATLAS collaboration (ETA amongst other things, including BELLE II and theory stuff). Most of COEPP is there, and there are plenty of undergraduate opportunities for research. http://www.coepp.org.au/
    There are also particle physics groups at USyd, and at Adelaide, though they are smaller and more theoretically focused. Further, Uni Melb and the ANU are getting together to do a direct dark matter detection experiment in Stawell, Victoria, to follow on from DAMA/LIBRE.

As far as "general" physics degrees in Australia goes, I'd go for ANU, Uni Melbourne, University of Queensland and USyd, in decreasing order of preference. But Uni Melbourne has more particle physics than ANU (ANU, on the other hand has much more nuclear physics than Uni Melbourne.)

ETA: And I can assure you that Uni Melb has a nuclear/particle physics course in undergrad, taught by particle physicists. As does ANU. But others in this thread are correct: most people who do particle physics in graduate school do a general physics undergraduate degree.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted