Is the Selection for the World Cup Fair?

In summary: Thanks for the summary. In summary, Australia is going to Germany to take part in the world cup. The game is more popular than Australian rules football and the proper term for the game is football. There are other teams in the UK and I'm a Tottenham Hotspur fan. Keep your eyes open for the Aussies, we're sure to humiliate them.
Kazza_765
Australia is Going to Germany!

Hey all you Aussies.
We're going to Germany! We're in the world cup! Did anyone else go to the game? I was at fed square in Melbourne. We had all of Flinders street blocked off while we were celebrating! yay! not since 1974! That's the first soccer game I've ever watched, and I can tell ya, AFL has got nothing on soccer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cool ! - :cool:

I wouldn't go as far as saying AFL has nothing on soccer, except that more people play soccer (futbol, or Fußball, as the case may be) than AFL.

The proper term is Football. That is the English spelling of the game. Football is football, American football is american football and aussie rules is just a barbaric version of Football and Rugby.

Congratulations on getting to the finals.

I don't watch sports, particularly that one and basketball, but congrats anyhow. By the way... isn't the only rule in Aussie football that no fully-automatic weapons are allowed on the field?

Congratz , i d prefer Uruguay to go thru but u guys played well over the two legs, u guys deserver it.

Danger said:
I don't watch sports, particularly that one and basketball, but congrats anyhow. By the way... isn't the only rule in Aussie football that no fully-automatic weapons are allowed on the field?

Yeah, but that's more of a guidline than a rule.

Great news!

Another chance to humiliate the Aussies! :wink:

Hope we get drawn in the same group. :biggrin:

Kazza_765 said:
Yeah, but that's more of a guidline than a rule.
Ahhh... thanks for the clarification. I thought that I'd seen it broken a couple of times with no noticeable repercussions.

Cybersteve said:
Great news!

Screw you. (Just kidding):smile:

Andy said:
The proper term is Football. That is the English spelling of the game.

Yeah, and the Spanish spelling is futbol and the German spelling is Fußball. There isn't only one correct name for the game.

By the way, according to this entry, soccer and American football were invented in their semi-modern form at essentially the same time and pretty much have equal claim to the name "football."

Arguably soccer was invented in London in 1863 when men sat down to codify the games that they had enjoyed playing at their "public schools". An association called "The Football Association" was formed. The word "soccer" is short for "Association Football", as distinct from "Rugby Football", which was another sport codified by ex public schoolboys in the late 19th century.

Of course, it arguably makes a lot more sense to call a game football when it is actually played primarily with the feet.

Yeah, and the Spanish spelling is futbol and the German spelling is Fußball. There isn't only one correct name for the game.

Football is not just a game, its a religion.

Danger said:
Yeah, but watch out for the landmines, RPG's and large bore artillery. :biggrin:

Keeps the blokes on their toes.

Astronuc said:
Keeps the blokes on their toes.
While they still have any... :bugeye:

Kazza_765 said:
Hey all you Aussies.
We're going to Germany! We're in the world cup! Did anyone else go to the game? I was at fed square in Melbourne. We had all of Flinders street blocked off while we were celebrating! yay! not since 1974! That's the first soccer game I've ever watched, and I can tell ya, AFL has got nothing on soccer.
And because of whose coach? :wink: :biggrin:

Cybersteve said:
Great news!

just remember who one last time. ;)

Friendlies don't count, never have, never will - learn to live with it!:wink:

All hail hiddink, he friggin took korea to the semis the last time . SAy cybersteve, u a city or united fan??

kaos said:
All hail hiddink, he friggin took korea to the semis the last time . SAy cybersteve, u a city or united fan??

There are other teams in the UK

I'm a Tottenham Hotspur (Spurs) fan, and have been all my life!

loseyourname said:
By the way, according to this entry, soccer and American football were invented in their semi-modern form at essentially the same time and pretty much have equal claim to the name "football."
Of course, it arguably makes a lot more sense to call a game football when it is actually played primarily with the feet.

All games in the football family, e.g. Assoication Football, American Football, Austrailian Rules Football, Gaelic football, Rugby Union and Rugby League trace there oriigns back to games played in English public schools in the 19th century where each public school developed it's own set of rules.

The modern game of (association) football dates from 1863 when the Cambridge rules were adopted by the newly-formed FA, since then the rules have been fixed with only relatively minor changes. The first national competetion took place in 1872 (the FA Cup which is still competed today) and the professional league was established in 1888 and all but one of the teams in the first league still play in the English professional leagues today.

In contrast american football first began to establish it's rules in 1873, but unlike association football which in 1863 ceased to be influenced by other codes, american football at this time was still heavily influenced by other codes and it took several decades for the modern game to emerge. The first true countrepart to Engalnd's FA was formed in 1905.

jcsd said:
The modern game of (association) football dates from 1863 when the Cambridge rules were adopted by the newly-formed FA, since then the rules have been fixed with only relatively minor changes. The first national competetion took place in 1872 (the FA Cup which is still competed today) and the professional league was established in 1888 and all but one of the teams in the first league still play in the English professional leagues today.
In contrast american football first began to establish it's rules in 1873, but unlike association football which in 1863 ceased to be influenced by other codes, american football at this time was still heavily influenced by other codes and it took several decades for the modern game to emerge. The first true countrepart to Engalnd's FA was formed in 1905.

And down here in Australia, we're still waiting to implement any rules.

Hey all you Aussies.

Well done, but to be honest the selection for the world cup is not fair. If it was the best teams in the world playing it out, I doubt anyone outside South America and Europe would get in...

Anyway best of luck :-)

What is "Australia is Going to Germany"?

"Australia is Going to Germany" is a phrase that refers to the growing trend of Australian scientists and researchers traveling to Germany for work, study, or collaborations in the field of science.

Why are so many Australians going to Germany for science?

There are several reasons why Australia is experiencing an increase in scientists traveling to Germany. Some of the reasons include the high quality of research and education in Germany, the availability of funding and resources, and the strong collaborations and partnerships between the two countries in various scientific fields.

What are the benefits of this exchange between Australia and Germany?

The exchange of scientists between Australia and Germany brings numerous benefits to both countries. It allows for the sharing of knowledge, expertise, and resources, leading to advancements and breakthroughs in scientific research. It also promotes cultural exchange and fosters international collaborations and partnerships.

What types of scientific fields are involved in this exchange?

The exchange between Australia and Germany covers a wide range of scientific fields, including but not limited to biology, chemistry, physics, engineering, mathematics, and environmental sciences. This diversity allows for a well-rounded and comprehensive exchange of knowledge and ideas.

Are there any programs or initiatives specifically promoting this exchange?

Yes, there are various programs and initiatives in place to facilitate the exchange of scientists between Australia and Germany. These include scholarship programs, research grants, and joint research projects, among others. These initiatives aim to strengthen the relationship between the two countries and promote scientific advancements on a global scale.