Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Australia is Going to Germany

1. Nov 16, 2005 #1
    Australia is Going to Germany!!!!!!!

Hey all you Aussies.
    We're going to Germany! We're in the world cup! Did anyone else go to the game? I was at fed square in Melbourne. We had all of Flinders street blocked off while we were celebrating! yay! not since 1974! That's the first soccer game I've ever watched, and I can tell ya, AFL has got nothing on soccer.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

Cool ! - :cool:

I wouldn't go as far as saying AFL has nothing on soccer, except that more people play soccer (futbol, or Fußball, as the case may be) than AFL.
  4. Nov 16, 2005 #3
    The proper term is Football. That is the English spelling of the game. Football is football, American football is american football and aussie rules is just a barbaric version of Football and Rugby.

Congratulations on getting to the finals.
  5. Nov 16, 2005 #4

Gold Member

I don't watch sports, particularly that one and basketball, but congrats anyhow. By the way... isn't the only rule in Aussie football that no fully-automatic weapons are allowed on the field?
  6. Nov 16, 2005 #5
    Congratz , i d prefer Uruguay to go thru but u guys played well over the two legs, u guys deserver it.
  7. Nov 16, 2005 #6
    Yeah, but thats more of a guidline than a rule.
  8. Nov 16, 2005 #7
    Great news!

Another chance to humiliate the Aussies! :wink:

Hope we get drawn in the same group. :biggrin:
  9. Nov 16, 2005 #8

Gold Member

Ahhh... thanks for the clarification. I thought that I'd seen it broken a couple of times with no noticeable repercussions.
  10. Nov 16, 2005 #9
    Screw you. (Just kidding):smile:
  11. Nov 16, 2005 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Yeah, and the Spanish spelling is futbol and the German spelling is Fußball. There isn't only one correct name for the game.

By the way, according to this entry, soccer and American football were invented in their semi-modern form at essentially the same time and pretty much have equal claim to the name "football."

Of course, it arguably makes a lot more sense to call a game football when it is actually played primarily with the feet.
  12. Nov 17, 2005 #11
    Football is not just a game, its a religion.
  13. Nov 17, 2005 #12

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, but watch out for the landmines, RPG's and large bore artillery. :biggrin:

Keeps the blokes on their toes.
  14. Nov 17, 2005 #13

Gold Member

While they still have any... :bugeye:
  15. Nov 17, 2005 #14

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And because of whose coach? :wink: :biggrin:
  16. Nov 19, 2005 #15
    just remember who one last time. ;)
  17. Nov 19, 2005 #16
    Friendlies don't count, never have, never will - learn to live with it!:wink:
  18. Nov 19, 2005 #17
    All hail hiddink, he friggin took korea to the semis the last time . SAy cybersteve, u a city or united fan??
  19. Nov 19, 2005 #18
    There are other teams in the UK

I'm a Tottenham Hotspur (Spurs) fan, and have been all my life!
  20. Nov 19, 2005 #19

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All games in the football family, e.g. Assoication Football, American Football, Austrailian Rules Football, Gaelic football, Rugby Union and Rugby League trace there oriigns back to games played in English public schools in the 19th century where each public school developed it's own set of rules.

The modern game of (association) football dates from 1863 when the Cambridge rules were adopted by the newly-formed FA, since then the rules have been fixed with only relatively minor changes. The first national competetion took place in 1872 (the FA Cup which is still competed today) and the professional league was established in 1888 and all but one of the teams in the first league still play in the English professional leagues today.

In contrast american football first began to establish it's rules in 1873, but unlike association football which in 1863 ceased to be influenced by other codes, american football at this time was still heavily influenced by other codes and it took several decades for the modern game to emerge. The first true countrepart to Engalnd's FA was formed in 1905.
  21. Nov 20, 2005 #20
    And down here in Australia, we're still waiting to implement any rules.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?