Australia Movie: A Story of Dreams & Never-Never Land

In summary, the movie is a beautiful and lengthy depiction of several different stories. It has beautiful scenery and is very satisfying.
Jimmy Snyder
Warning: If you haven't seen the film, but intend to, then you probably should see it before reading this.

For scenery, this movie is the most beautiful movie I have seen since Dr. Zhivago. As with that movie, there are several stories to be told so it lasts a while. The stories are tied together by the story of Nullah, the child of an aborigine woman and a white man. A boy torn between two worlds and with no story, no dream, and no real home. Yet.

The story is not about "The Wizard of Oz", as you might think, but rather about the "wizard" of Oz. Not about how Dorothy got home (though that's where she ended up), but about how the wizard did. He had to go by way of Never-never land, because that's the place where dreams are born. Pay careful attention to the lion, the scarecrow, the tin man, and Dorothy all behind the curtain.

Physics news on Phys.org
jimmysnyder said:
For scenery, this movie is the most beautiful movie I have seen since Dr. Zhivago.
Now that's a strong endorsement. Dr. Zhivago is one of my favorite movies.

So, jimmy, I think you're now the official PF movie critic.

Astronuc said:
So, jimmy, I think you're now the official PF movie critic.
I call 'em like I see 'em. My wife informs me that we will be watching more movies in the future. I think we saw about 10 in 20 years of marriage, 2 in the past two weekends. Ben Button is next on our list.

I'll put that one on my Must See list. I heard its a bit of a love story also.

I loved it!

I agree with movie critic Roger Ebert - it's like "Gone With the Wind" - as opposed to Dr. Zhivago. I'm glad Hugh Jackman starred as opposed to Russell Crowe.

I enjoyed it, but parts seem to drag on (~2:45). I miss the land very much sometimes.

The scenery - out in the bush is stunning.

I was pleased to see performances by David Gulpilil and David Ngoombujarra, and would have liked to have seen more of them.

I have to see 10 Canoes (Ten Canoes).

What is the plot of "Australia Movie: A Story of Dreams & Never-Never Land"?

The movie follows an English aristocrat, Lady Sarah Ashley, who travels to Australia in 1939 to sell her husband's cattle ranch. She meets a rough and tough cattle drover, known as "Drover", and together they embark on a journey to save the ranch and its Aboriginal workers from a greedy cattle baron.

Is the movie historically accurate?

While the movie is set during a real period in Australian history, it is a work of fiction and should not be viewed as a historical documentary. Some events and characters are based on real people and events, but the movie takes creative liberties for the sake of storytelling.

Who are the main characters in the movie?

The main characters are Lady Sarah Ashley, Drover, and Nullah, a young Aboriginal boy who becomes a pivotal part of the story. Other important characters include King George, the leader of a nearby Aboriginal tribe, and Neil Fletcher, the antagonist and cattle baron.

What was the budget for "Australia Movie: A Story of Dreams & Never-Never Land"?

The estimated budget for the movie was around $130 million USD. This was a significant budget for the time and was used to create the stunning landscapes and visual effects seen in the film.

What challenges did the filmmakers face while making the movie?

The filmmakers faced many challenges during production, including harsh weather conditions, logistical challenges of filming in remote locations, and finding the right balance between historical accuracy and creative storytelling. Additionally, the movie faced criticism for its portrayal of Aboriginal characters and their culture.