Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Authentication Required Popup

1. Jun 19, 2014 #1

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I keep getting a popup saying "Authentication Required" for "www.physicsforums.com:80", with a username and password box to fill in. I'm already logged in and I can bypass it just by hitting cancel twice. Logging out and logging back in hasn't helped and I haven't tried actually inputing my username and password to this popup since I don't know what it's for and haven't seen it before today.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2014 #2

Nugatory

Bogus login dialog problem

Did something change in the last few hours? I'm browsing PF from an iPad, and any time that I browse to any subforum (for example, "Forum Feedback and Announcements"), the site is requesting that I log in again. I just dismiss the dialog, as I clearly am logged in already and the"Welcome back, Nugatory" and post and thanks counts are showing.

4. Jun 19, 2014 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, others have it too. We'll have to wait for Greg to come online for this.

I have of course foolishly put in my name and password to make it go away, it didn't. I did change my password already though. So anybody please don't enter anything in the popup. If you did, immediately change your password.

5. Jun 19, 2014 #4

jtbell

After I hit "Cancel" twice, the popup stops, at least temporarily.

6. Jun 19, 2014 #5

Nugatory

If you're having the same experience that I am, it stops until you next navigate to a subforum's index page.

7. Jun 19, 2014 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, that's exactly right.

8. Jun 19, 2014 #7

Drakkith

I have the oddest feeling that this is somehow OmCheeto's fault. Phinds is probably in on it too.

9. Jun 19, 2014 #8
    HELP! What's wrong with my account?

I am having a strange problem when I log in PF. Whenever I click a page it is asking for passwords, though I am already logged in. And even if I enter my password, it keeps asking for password again and again. (Luckily I am able to write this post)
    Also a page shows up saying:
    You dont have permission to access this page.... Your user account may not have sufficient privileges... The administrators may have disabled this account... etc. !!!!

Take a look:

FSuscz1.png

Also why this?

What's wrong?

Z0lE9qV.png

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  10. Jun 19, 2014 #9

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was just about to start my own thread on the subject when I saw your post

I'm not sure if there is some hacking of the site going on ?? hence I wont put my user id and password into there

But exact same problem in Win IE 11
    It was OK a few hours ago

cheers
    Dave

11. Jun 19, 2014 #10

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Please stay calm, people, and no one will get hurt!

Just hit cancel, and proceed as usual. I'm sure it is a hiccup somewhere, and when Greg or one of the Admin gets here, he will deal with it.

Zz.

12. Jun 19, 2014 #11
    It should be gone. Let me know if you see it again.

13. Jun 19, 2014 #12

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks Greg :)

D

14. Jun 20, 2014 #13

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Uh oh.. my browser autofilled my username and password into the pop up, and I even hit 'OK'
    Do I have to change my password now?

15. Jun 20, 2014 #14
    I don't think so.

16. Jun 20, 2014 #15

mfb

2016 Award

No. It does not matter what you entered there as you don't have valid login data for this prompt anyway (this had nothing to do with forum accounts).

17. Jun 21, 2014 #16

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Ok, then. Whew!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook