Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Authors of books on wisdom and life

1. Oct 29, 2005 #1

cronxeh

Gold Member

Ok so as I'm reading various reviews on books by various authors, I get this weird question popping in my mind - where do they get off with their pompous proclamation of sagacity?

Have they accomplished something ground breaking? Have they told a story that explains something? What do you think about books of those kind?

I've read brief descriptions of those books:

The Road Less Traveled (by M. Scott Peck, MD): A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values and Spiritual Growth
    Tuesdays with Morrie (by Mitch Albom) :
    Ok so tell me this : my grandmother was a Biologist and on her death bed from cancer she gave me some life advise as well, something similar along the lines of the those aforementioned books. I dont see the predicament how her life experience and suffering somehow made her all the wiser? Tell me this - why do people in pain and despair seem to think that afterwards they are somehow enlightened with the higher wisdom and the insight, yet never really know what the answer is, or what the question was in the first place?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2005 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

There are many, many people in the world that are in need of emotional support. They go through life feeling like they are missing something, they can't cope, they're forever tragic and they need to "be given" externally what they lack internally. They need someone to tell them they're ok. I guess where ever they find what ever they think they're missing is ok. If a book makes them feel better, that's good.

I don't personally understand these people and I come across as unfeeling and uncaring of their emotional problems. :redface:

I would be a terrible therapist. My responses would be "Get over it!" Get a life!" "stop whining". Yeah, I'm a bad person. :frown:

4. Oct 29, 2005 #3

Astronuc

Some people feel compelled to share their philosophy or insight into life - and they make good money - although some authors donate to charity. Actually that is a simplistic generalization - there are many reasons.

Then just think of all those evangelists who feel compelled to spread 'the good word'.

Cronxeh - As for what your grandmother experienced, perhaps the signifcance will occur to you when you take your last breath in this world, which hopefully will be many years from now.

Nah! :smile:

5. Oct 29, 2005 #4

cronxeh

Gold Member

I dont doubt that she was a wise woman. I was watching the Medal of Honor recepients' stories today, and it was about the medic in the wars - I was very touched by a few of their stories, and in general I think there is a difference between being an evangelical who spreads the 'good word' and someone who spreads the good word who happened to have seen the war and taken the hits and still picked up whatever traces of dignity and strength they've had and saved their fellow men.

6. Oct 29, 2005 #5

Astronuc

Yes, I agree, there is quite a difference.

In the OP, one could have also mentioned the author Deepak Chopra, and many others.

As Evo mentioned, there are many, many people in the world that are in need of emotional support - or they just need a little help from the outside because they have trouble figuring it out inside. Some people seek support through religion and other forms of spirituality, and others through therapy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?