1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Auto crash problem

1. Nov 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Skid marks at auto accidents are used to reconstruct traffic accidents. In this particular scenario, a truck of mass 1750kg moving with a velocity of (22m/s, 90 degrees) collided with a sports car of mass 1025 kg moving with an unknown velocity. After the collision, the vehicles stuck together and moved off at an angle of 138 degrees with respect to east (0 degrees). The skid marks are 57m long. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is determined to be .37, what was the velocity of the sports car at the time of the collision? Assume there is level ground at the location of the collision.

3. The attempt at a solution

N/A, I'm stuck on step 1

Any help is appreciated guys, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Step 1 is to find an applicable equation. And it's tough to get stuck there. Think about conservation of momentum.

4. Nov 11, 2007 #3
    Yeah; through a series of unfortunate events I lost my textbook :( I know there is a somewhat simple equation, but I just don't know what it is. I googled around, but nothing came up. If someone can post the equation for me I can try and just go from there.

5. Nov 11, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Momentum is conserved. Momentum is m*v. So m1*v1+m2*v2=m3*v3. Be warned that the v's are vectors. BTW, that's not the sort of equation you should really have to memorize. It's more of a concept than an equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?