Civil Engineering Student: Choose Autocad or Revit?

• Thread starter Dell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    autocad
In summary, the conversation is about a second year civil engineering student who is deciding between taking an AutoCAD or Revit course over the summer. The student is interested in structural design and is unsure of the differences between the two programs. The other participant in the conversation is more knowledgeable in AutoCAD and recommends sticking with it due to its versatility in various design applications, while mentioning that Revit is specialized in Building Information Modeling. They also express surprise that a second year student without any CAD experience would be offered a Revit course.
Dell
i am a second year civil engineering student, ideally i want to go into structural design, this summer i need to choose between doing an autocad course and a revit course as i cannot manage them both,
i know autocad is what architects use, what exactly is revit, what is the difference and which would you recommend me doing.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know Revit, but I'm a more than adept AutoCAD user. AutoCAD can be used for any type of design. I've drafted electrical designs, sanitary designs, structural designs, earthworks maps, road designs, etc... You name it. It's a very complete tool.

I'd probably stick with CAD. I don't have much experience with revit but from what I understand, its decent if you need to draw up floor plans or other things like that quickly. I think CAD is more of a versatile tool that has wider applications and uses than revit.

Revit is for Building Information Modeling (BIM). It's very specialized and I'm surprised they would offer it to a second year student without any CAD experience.

I understand the importance of making informed decisions based on research and evidence. In this case, the decision between learning AutoCAD or Revit depends on your specific career goals and the industry you plan to enter.

AutoCAD is a widely used computer-aided design (CAD) software that is commonly used by architects, engineers, and other professionals in the construction industry. It allows for precise 2D and 3D drafting and is a valuable tool for creating detailed drawings and plans.

On the other hand, Revit is a building information modeling (BIM) software that is specifically designed for architects and engineers. It allows for 3D modeling and coordination of building and construction projects, making it a useful tool for structural design.

In terms of which software to choose, it ultimately depends on your career goals and the industry you plan to enter. If you are interested in a career in structural design, then learning Revit may be more beneficial as it is specifically designed for this purpose. However, if you are interested in working in a broader range of industries in the construction field, then AutoCAD may be a more versatile option.

It is also worth considering the current industry trends and job opportunities. BIM technology, which is what Revit is based on, is becoming increasingly popular in the construction industry. This means that having knowledge and experience with Revit may give you an advantage in the job market.

In conclusion, both AutoCAD and Revit are valuable tools in the construction industry and it ultimately depends on your career goals and industry preferences. I would recommend researching the job market and talking to professionals in the field to gain a better understanding of which software would be more beneficial for you.

What is the difference between Autocad and Revit?

Autocad is a computer-aided design software used for creating 2D and 3D drawings, while Revit is a building information modeling software used for creating detailed 3D models of buildings and structures.

Which software is better for a civil engineering student, Autocad or Revit?

It ultimately depends on the specific needs and preferences of the student. Autocad is better suited for creating technical drawings and is widely used in the industry, while Revit is more specialized for building design and construction.

Can Autocad and Revit be used together?

Yes, Autocad and Revit are both part of the Autodesk suite and can be used together for different stages of a project. Autocad can be used for initial design and drafting, while Revit can be used for detailed modeling and construction documentation.

Is it necessary for a civil engineering student to know both Autocad and Revit?

It is not necessary, but having knowledge of both software can be beneficial for a civil engineering student. Autocad is more widely used in the industry, but Revit is becoming more popular and may be required for certain job positions.

Are there any other software options for civil engineering students besides Autocad and Revit?

Yes, there are other software options such as SketchUp, Rhino, and SolidWorks that are commonly used in the civil engineering field. It is important for students to research and choose the software that best fits their needs and career goals.