1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Autocorrelation Function of Markov Chain/Discrete Process

1. Apr 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm working with a transition matrix that is
    1-p, p
    q, 1-q

And I need to find
    [tex]E(X_n X_{n+\tau})[/tex]
    with E = {-1,1}. The first row is probabilities given currently in state -1.

And this needs to be a function of tau. I started by initiializing my M.C. with the steady-state probabilities, thinking that would ensure X_n was stationary (and so its autocorrelation would be a function of only tau).

I then thought there would be two cases:
    [tex]\tau = 0[/tex]
    [tex]E(X_n^2)=\pi_1 + \pi_{-1} = 1[/tex]

Then the other case
    [tex]\tau \ne 0[/tex]
    [tex]E(x_n x_{n+\tau}) = (1)(1)\pi_1^2 + (-1)^2 \pi_{-1}^2 - 2 \pi_1 \pi_{-1} = \left ( \frac{p-q}{p+q} \right)^2[/tex]

Problem:
    I simulated the MC and computed the autocorrelation. Things I found:
    1.) For tau = 0, I am right.
    2.) My value for tau != 0 is the case when tau > about 6 or 7.
    3.) For tau = 1,2,3 or so the values are consistently different from my solution. I need to know what is going on.
    4.) If p = 1- q, P has all equal rows. In this situation, my solution works.

Confusions:
    I don't understand how I could be wrong since I initialized the beginning state using the steady-state probabilities. So I thought the probability of going to any state in n steps from there was:
    [tex] \pi P^n[/tex]
    evaluated at the state you want That gives you pi_state no matter what.

I can post my code if wanted.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted