Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Automatic censorship in the forum software

1. Oct 11, 2013 #1

DrDu

Science Advisor

I am quite annoyed after re-reading by chance my post in the following thread:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=668638
    I was mentioning the book by Landau and L.i.f.s.h.i.t.z, however the last name was changed automatically to "Lifgarbagez", apparently by some automatic replacement algorithm to avoid the use of rude language. I don't think it is acceptable that the forum software reverses the sense of users statements.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That looks like an old problem, there are many recent posts with Lifshitz (and no posts with an unintended Lifgarbagez in the last 2 months), see www.physicsforums.com/search.php?query=Lifshitz&showposts=1&do=process [Broken]. I fixed it in the post you linked.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Oct 11, 2013 #3

jtbell

Once upon a time, entering 'Lifshitz' resulted in 'Lif***z'. Then Greg or one of the other admins fixed it by making 'Lifshitz' a special-case exception to the censorship filter. I've never seen 'Lifgarbagez' before today, so it must have been a temporary fluke caused by a forum software update or something.

5. Oct 11, 2013 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

I think the question is more whether one really needs such an automatic filter. Use of inappropriate language is against forum rules, anyhow.
    I wonder which other words get mutilated: sextant, tit for tat, homolytic?
    And by the way, in Austria, there is a nice village called ****ing:
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/****ing [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Oct 11, 2013 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You sure? Emphasis mine:

There are over 500 posts (that's the limit of the search engine) with that garbage!

7. Oct 11, 2013 #6

Borek

This is strange.

8. Oct 11, 2013 #7

jtbell

And yet, a forum search for 'Lifshitz' also turns up hits during the same period. :confused:

9. Oct 11, 2013 #8

mfb

2016 Award

I did some more research:
    Last year had 124 posts with Lifgarbagez, not counting this thread. The last unintended one was Aug5.
    58 posts Lifshitz in the same timespan, again not counting this thread. 37 of them were posted after Aug5 (starting Aug14). The 19 others all had Lifschitz in their post title, and usually Lifgarbagez in the post - but not Lifshitz. [Edit: fixed typo]

I think there was some change somewhere between Aug5 and Aug14, could be related to this. Before that change, the filter worked for all posts (but not for post titles), afterwards it allowed to write Lifshitz [Edit: fixed typo] everywhere. I guess this is a historical problem only.

This contains hits: Thiscontainshits. As isolated word, it still gets censored.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  10. Oct 11, 2013 #9

Evo

Lifshitz contains a bad word, Lifschitz doesn't, so wouldn't get caught by the filter. Still strange though.

11. Oct 11, 2013 #10

mfb

2016 Award

Sorry, I searched for Lifshitz, but got the spelling "wrong" (as in: alternative transliteration) in my post here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook