Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Automatic post titles

1. Jun 25, 2008 #1

Defennder

Homework Helper

I'm pretty sure quite a number of you would have noticed it already; the automated post titles prefixes a "Re: " to every quick reply or normal reply. Is this supposed to happen? How do I disable it if it's a new feature?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I would say that it is something new that came with the upgrade. If you don't like the titles, then you can always delete them, or change the title to one of your choice, but I don't see a way (or need) of disabling it.

4. Jun 25, 2008 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

small earthquake in Chile … not many goldfish

I don't like it. :frown:

Automated titles are uesful in replies to messages, where the original message title is usually not included.

But in replies to threads, the original thread title is clearly at the top of the page, and also in the window bar.

I'm sure many people don't notice that they're re-posting the title … I wonder how long an inappropriate title might continue? :wink:

This new default is unhelpful … but fun to play around with! :biggrin:

5. Jun 25, 2008 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It just showed up yesterday as far as I can tell (older posts don't have it). I don't know where it came from or why. It seems redundant, unless there are plans to offer a different forum view. I don't know if it was turned on on purpose or accidentally.

6. Jun 25, 2008 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Almost exactly at midnight EST. I'm not crazy about it either.

7. Jun 25, 2008 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I think it (post titles) showed up yesterday about noon.

It's in this thread - Threads with New Posts
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=241654

But not this one as of this post - Alternative Energies
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=234704

It appears to be retroactive, i.e. if someone posts a new post in a thread that doesn't have it then it automatically gets put in all the posts in the thread. I have not tested that theory however.

Update: It's in the last post in this thread, which was resurrected from 4 years ago.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=17210

So my theory is faulty.

8. Jun 25, 2008 #7

Defennder

Homework Helper

So is it here to stay?

Just a quick note: The automatic post titles can be removed or renamed, but having to do that each time we reply is quite bothersome.

9. Jun 26, 2008 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Will anyone notice a title change now?

I have no idea. Greg's still working on tinkering with the new version of the software, so may be pushing buttons to find out what they do and if people like or dislike the features. Or, it may be like some of the other quirks we're finding that just started appearing with no easy fix (like contributor posts in this forum getting bumped into a moderation queue). We'll have to wait for Greg to tell us more when he's not busy fixing bigger bugs.

For me, it's an "I can take it or leave it" kind of thing. I don't see any benefit, and while the first appearances caught my attention, I'm quickly learning to just ignore it (the downside is that when someone does put a new title on a post for a reason, I think I'm also not noticing those). To me, it's not worth the extra steps of removing it.

10. Jun 26, 2008 #9

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well.. I noticed your title change, MB!

Exactly; Greg's pretty busy at the moment.

Same here. It really makes no difference to me!

11. Jun 26, 2008 #10

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Or one can simply delete the title. It would be nice if the default was no title and one could set it under preferences.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?