Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Automatic Tree Generation

1. Aug 6, 2008 #1
    Hello everyone!

Quick question, anyone know of any computer codes that will take in a long list of block data linked to other lists of block data and will create tree diagrams?

My specific problem is for documents (research papers) that reference other papers and so on.

If not, should I create on using C++ or something, haven't coded in C++ in a while (FORTRAN all the way baby.)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2008 #2
    Come on guys, help me out.
    Am I gonna have to learn a whole new language? Any commercial software out there?
    Throw me a bone, here.

4. Aug 8, 2008 #3
    can you elaborate i have a hard time figuring out what you are asking

5. Aug 9, 2008 #4
    Well i have many papers that reference each other in several different topic areas that may or may not be linked together. I haven't read them all and as I read them I want to create links to other papers I have read or not read. So, for example.

Code (Text):
       paper_g    <paper_h>  paper_i   <paper_j>
          \      /      \          \    \   /
          paper_a  paper_b        paper_c  paper_d         papper_e-<paper_f>
          \     /              \     /                  \    /
            topic 1          topic 2            topic 3
    and so on where <> are papers I have not read but are of interest and are referenced by another paper in the sytem. I would like them also organized by year or by author.

Any other information you would like to know?\

THE SLASHES LOOK LIKE CRAP, BUT YOU GET THE IDEA.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?