Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Automatic Wake-Up

1. Jan 21, 2013 #1
    Hello. I'll try to describe a strange phenomenon I look on a PC. My recent PC is temporarily out of order and sent to repair. So I use my old PC ( 300 MHz Win-2000 ) and what happens ... Although I correctly stop this PC in the evening, during the night it starts alone without any human intervention. This situation happened during two consecutive nights ? I must also precise that this PC is connected to Internet. Can someone explain what happens ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2013 #2
    When you say "stop", I assume you mean a complete "shutdown"? Or was it put on "sleep" mode?

4. Jan 21, 2013 #3
    Wake on lan in the bios.

5. Jan 22, 2013 #4
    Thanks for replies. Yes it is a complete shutdown. There is no LAN connected. I've checked in BIOS all wake-up , power-on ... are disabled !

6. Jan 24, 2013 #5

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I understand correctly, you're leaving it connected to the internet so maybe this is what's going on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e0LvAao0kg

7. Jan 26, 2013 #6
    Many thanks for reply. This link is really interesting. I tested modification of power management under XP unfortunately this parameter doesn't exist with Win2000.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook