Automatic Window Lift: Get Help Setting Up Low-Cost, Efficient System

In summary: The counterweight would improve the situation. The current ropes arrange the panel so that it can be lifted by pulling on the bottom corners at each end of the panel set. The connection to the panel is a metal pole that is inserted into the panel set and fastened into place. The panel is rigid enough to be lifted by either pulling or pushing on the bottom corners at each end of the panel set.
EE_
Hello all!

I'm an electrical/controls engineer by day and farmer by night. I need some insight on an issue I'm having at the farm.

We have a greenhouse where I've setup automatic temperature controls. A small PLC reads temperature in the greenhouse. If the temperature gets too high, we open the vent shown in the attached pictures. When the temperature goes low, we close the vent.

The motor I'm using is a wench mounted on the wooden platform inside the greenhouse. I can change ropes as needed.

The vent is made of plastic roofing material. It's actually 4 sections I tied together with a metal pole in order to lift all at once. I can cut this up as needed but I would like not to add any additional materials as to save money. I have other pieces of scrap metal to use as well. These are more metal poles like you see in the pictures.

The mechanical setup I have right now does not work. In the pictures from the outside, you can see two poles in the ground. I was trying to lift from the outside. Ideally I'd like the movements to happen from the inside to avoid weather wear.

Thanks for reading this far! I can build anything but just don't have an idea of how to make this one happen. Please offer some help! I'm open to completely new ideas or fixing what exists while keeping spending low and design as simple as possible.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Attachments

• 20170316_175925.jpg
    20170316_175925.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 439
  • 20170316_175925.jpg
    20170316_175925.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 436
  • 20170316_175828.jpg
    20170316_175828.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 420
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello EE_, :welcome:

You don't mention in what respect
EE_ said:
The mechanical setup I have right now does not work
Could a counterweight improve the situation ? All you have to do with the wench is pull that down or let it swing up again...
(I assume strormproofing the design isn't your main concern ?)

EE_ said:
In the pictures from the outside, you can see two poles in the ground. I was trying to lift from the outside. Ideally I'd like the movements to happen from the inside to avoid weather wear.
Welcome to the PF.

I'd be inclined to just use a small motor and screw drive with two limit switches to do this. What PLC are you using for control?

Likes BvU
Like the upper drive in the picture below. Inside the greenhouse in the middle of the window, one end of the screw is fixed with a bearing onto the lower part of the vent window frame, and the motor is fixed onto a small platform attached to the lower window sill. The platform with the motor should be free to tilt through a few degrees as the window is pushed open, since the point of attachment on the bottom of the window will rise slightly as the window is pushed open. One limit switch will sense when the vent window is all the way closed, and the other will sense when the window is open enough (via the screw position or some other means).

Would that work?

http://www.controlsdrivesautomation.com/orgfiles/ZORGF000011/CDA/images/STOBER PRODUCT 1BALL.png
STOBER%20PRODUCT%201BALL.png

It would help if you would describe what you mean by "it does not work". How are the current ropes arranged so as to lift the bottom of the panel set and are the connection(s) to the panel (at the center or each end?); and, is the panel set rigid enough to be lifted by either pulling or pushing on the bottom corners at each end of the panel set?

What is automatic window lift?

Automatic window lift is a system that allows windows to be opened and closed automatically, without the need for manual operation. This is achieved through the use of sensors, motors, and controllers that work together to regulate the movement of the window.

How does automatic window lift work?

The system works by using sensors to detect changes in temperature, humidity, or air quality, and then sending signals to the motor to open or close the window accordingly. The controller acts as the brain of the system, processing the information from the sensors and controlling the movement of the window.

What are the benefits of using an automatic window lift system?

One of the main benefits of using an automatic window lift system is convenience. The system allows for hands-free operation, making it easier for individuals with mobility issues or those who have difficulty reaching windows. Additionally, the system can help regulate temperature and air quality, leading to energy savings and improved comfort.

What is the cost of setting up an automatic window lift system?

The cost of setting up an automatic window lift system can vary depending on the type of system and the size of the windows. However, compared to other home automation systems, automatic window lift is relatively low-cost. The cost can also be offset by energy savings and potential tax credits for energy-efficient upgrades.

Can an automatic window lift system be installed in any type of window?

Yes, an automatic window lift system can be installed in most types of windows, including single-hung, double-hung, sliding, and casement windows. However, it is important to consult with a professional to ensure that the system is compatible with your specific window type and size.