Automaticly resolve spring equation

• Thread starter elekis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary: Expert summarizer of contentIn summary, the conversation is about simulating a system of particles connected by springs and observing their behavior over time. The speaker is asking for advice on how to approach this problem, and some people have suggested using an ODE (Ordinary Differential Equations) library. The speaker is also asking for guidance on how to use the library and how to apply it to their specific problem. The expert summarizer suggests defining the system, setting up the ODEs, solving them, and observing the results as general steps for solving the problem.
elekis
hi all,

I have a 3D world with random point (more or less 1000) and with some couple of point, I have a spring who rely both
(for example a and b are rely by a spring, a can't move but b can).

What I wan is after a certain time , get the stable system. example
my start system is
http://img362.imageshack.us/my.php?image=blablabf0.jpg

after the system was stable.
http://img386.imageshack.us/my.php?image=blabla2gm9.jpg

some poeple say I have to use ODE (Ordinary Differential Equations) library.

the only I found is http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/manual/html_node/Ordinary-Differential-Equations.html

but is it good??

and other thing, how to use that??
the only thing I know is A(x_a,y_a,z_a) , B(x_b,y_b,z_b) and C(x_c,y_c,z_c)
and (for example ) A and B are fixed (can't move)
there is a spring with a force of 7 between A and C and there is a spring between B and C with a force of 3).

who to resolve that?

thanks a lot for all.

a+++

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

It sounds like you have a very interesting problem on your hands! From your description, it seems like you are trying to simulate a system of particles connected by springs and observe how they behave over time. This type of problem is often referred to as a "mass-spring system" and it is commonly used in physics and computer graphics simulations.

To answer your question, yes, using an ODE library like the one you mentioned would be a good approach to solving this problem. ODEs are equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives, and they are commonly used to model systems that change over time. In your case, the positions of the particles and the forces acting on them will change over time, so using ODEs is a good choice.

As for how to use the ODE library, it will depend on the specific library you are using and the programming language you are using it in. I suggest reading the documentation for the library you have chosen and also looking for any tutorials or examples online. This will give you a better understanding of how to use the library and how to apply it to your specific problem.

In terms of solving your specific problem, here are some general steps you could follow:

1. Define your system: Start by defining all the particles in your system, their initial positions, and the forces acting on them (in your case, the spring forces). You can also set any constraints, such as which particles are fixed and which can move.

2. Set up the ODEs: Using the information from step 1, you can set up the ODEs that describe the motion of each particle. This will involve writing equations that relate the position, velocity, and acceleration of each particle to the forces acting on it.

3. Solve the ODEs: Once you have set up the ODEs, you can use your chosen library to solve them. This will give you the positions and velocities of each particle at different points in time.

4. Observe the results: After solving the ODEs, you can observe how the system evolves over time. You can plot the positions of the particles or create animations to visualize the system.

I hope this gives you a better understanding of how to approach your problem. Good luck with your simulations! If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Hello!

To automatically resolve the spring equation in your 3D world, you can use the ODE (Ordinary Differential Equations) library. This library allows you to solve systems of differential equations, which is exactly what you need for your spring system. The link you provided (http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/manual/html_node/Ordinary-Differential-Equations.html) is a good resource for learning how to use the ODE library.

To use the library, you will need to define the initial conditions of your system (the positions and velocities of your points) and the equations that govern the motion of your points (in this case, the spring equations). You can then use the ODE library to solve these equations and obtain the stable system after a certain amount of time.

In your specific example, you would need to define the positions of points A, B, and C, as well as the spring equations for the forces between them. The library will then calculate the motion of these points and give you the stable system after a certain amount of time.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your project.

1. What is the spring equation and why is it important in automatic resolution?

The spring equation is a mathematical model that describes the motion of a spring when a force is applied to it. It is important in automatic resolution because it allows us to predict and control the behavior of springs in various systems.

2. How does automatic resolution of the spring equation work?

Automatic resolution of the spring equation involves using numerical methods to solve the equation and determine the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of the spring at any given time. This information can then be used to accurately simulate the behavior of the spring in a system.

3. What factors influence the accuracy of automatic resolution of the spring equation?

The accuracy of automatic resolution of the spring equation can be influenced by factors such as the time step used in the numerical method, the stiffness and damping of the spring, and the initial conditions of the system.

4. Can automatic resolution of the spring equation be applied to real-world systems?

Yes, automatic resolution of the spring equation can be applied to real-world systems. It is commonly used in engineering, physics, and other fields to model and analyze the behavior of springs in various systems such as suspension systems, shock absorbers, and musical instruments.

5. Are there any limitations to automatic resolution of the spring equation?

While automatic resolution of the spring equation is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It may not accurately capture the behavior of springs in highly nonlinear or complex systems. Additionally, it relies on certain simplifying assumptions that may not hold true in all cases.