Automobile shock absorbers

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I'll look and the rest of the article and I'm sure i can find a ref to asymmetry in the damping.
No need to look. There IS asymmetry in the damping. It is controlled by two sets of valves... one each for compression and extension. These do control dampening to varying degrees on the compression and extension strokes. Removing damping on the compression stroke entirely would not work as effectively as having some there. While that particular form of damping wouldn't be as noticeable on very rough roads, it would be noticeable on smooth roads. All wheels have at least some imbalance and are constantly subject to smallish imputs from otherwise smooth roads. The smaller resistance in the compression side is very effective in dealing with these smaller imputs. BTW, I used to routinely diagnose flat spotting on tires as an early shock failure on non gas-charged shocks. After removing the shock you could clearly feel the lack of compression resistance on these failed components even though the extension resistance was more substantial.

No compression resistance in a shock will cause small oscillations in the wheel assembly and ultimately manifest as irregular tire wear.

chemistree,
thank you for that insight. the first time i knew that shocks changed everything was a ride in a car with gas shocks,Bilsteins, that was insane for its day. I somehow have gotten interested in all this oscillation science and have even applied it to acoustics. Any material you think could be enlightening would be appreciated. BTW what's a chemist doing fooling around with tires and shocks???
thanks for the reply
Alex

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
BTW what's a chemist doing fooling around with tires and shocks???

I worked my way through College as a Service Manager and Assistant Manager at a national chain of automobile repair shops.

The most important feature of shocks is to keep the tire on the road following an input. Uncontrolled oscillations of the suspension system will result in the tire skipping during important maneuvers like turning, braking and accelerating. A lot of times small oscillations won't even be felt by the rider but they will be apparent during 'maneuvers'.

Last edited: