1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Automorphism Group

1. Nov 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let K = Q(21/4)

Determine the automorphism group Aut(K/Q)

2. Relevant equations

An automorphism is an isomorphism from a Field to itself

Aut(K/Q) is the group of Automorphisms from k/Q to K/Q

Definition: A K-Homomorphism from L/K to L'/K is a homomorphism L---> L' that is the identity on K

3. The attempt at a solution

I am completely at a loss really. I have calculated there are four homomorphisms from K to C and think from there if I know how many are K-homomorphisms then that'll be the number of automorphisms, because a homomorphism from a field to itself is an automorphism (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this). Then that'll give me the set of Automorphisms.

My problem is that I don't know how to go from the number of homomorphisms to the actual homomorphisms. I think it has a relation to the roots of 2(1 /4) in C (which I have calculated to be 2(1 /4), - 2(1 /4), i*2(1 /4), -i2(1 /4) )

Please help, this lack of understanding is preventing me from moving forward with other questions and my notes from lectures completely gloss over how to do this.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2011 #2
    one problem that I see is that not every homomorphism is an automorphism. Consider the identity mapping. this is clearly a homomorphism but it is not bijective.
    Also you said there are four homomorphisms from K to C. But what is C? is C just Aut(K/Q)?
    Also I just want to clarify something: Is this what you mean by K:

[tex] K= \{ a+b \sqrt[4]{2} :a,b \in \mathbb{Q} \} [/tex]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  4. Nov 3, 2011 #3

Deveno

Science Advisor

no C is not Aut(K/Q).

Aut(K/Q) is the group of all automorphisms of K that fix Q.

note K is NOT {a+b(4√2)}, this set is not even closed under multiplication, K is more precisely the set:

{a + b(4√2) + c√2 + d(4√8)}

which as a vector space is isomorphic to Q4.

what IS clear, is that any element of Aut(K/Q) sends 4√2 to another 4th root of two, and that any such automorphism is completely determined by the image of 4√2.

there are exactly 4 of these in C:

4√2, -4√2, (4√2)i and -(4√2)i.

if we agree to set α = 4√2, of the maps:

α→α
    α→-α
    α→iα
    α→-iα

how many of these are in Aut(K/Q)?

(the complex numbers play only an indrect role, here, as a field contaning the algebraic closure of Q(α). we could have just used this field (call it E) instead, but it doesn't lend itself to a nice easy description like C does. the important fact is that there is SOME subfield of C that is the algebraic closure of Q(α), as Q(α) is a subfield of R, and C is the algebraic closure of R (a fact called the fundamental theorem of algebra). note we don't even need all of C, just A, where A is the set of all (real) algebraic numbers).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook