1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Automorphisms: chapter 2

1. Oct 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find Aut(Z(6)) Z(6) reads Z subscript 6 and Z represents integers.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

L(5)= 5x

U(6) <=> Aut(Z(6))

Now I have to determine whether or not U(6) is cyclic. I start off by saying U(6)=<5> . <5> generates 5, and 5^2 =1 . Therefore <5>=Z(2). Aut(U(6) is similar to Aut(Z(2))= U subscript 2 = {1,5}

Aut(Aut(Z(10)) =Aut(U(10)) = Aut(Z subscript 4) = U(4) =Z subscript 2.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry - I can't understand most of that. What are L(1) and L(5)?

I think you're on the right track, but what you posted is too mangled up.

Let's think about what kind of automorphisms we can have on Z(6). An automorphism is going to be completely determined by how it acts on the generators of the group. So what are the generators of Z(6)? I think you managed to see that they were 1 and 5. So we have two automorphisms, namely the automorphism that sends 1->1 (the identity map) and the automorphism that sends 1->5. (Why am I not counting the ones that send 5->5 and 5->1 separately?)

So Aut(Z(6)) is a group that contains precisely two elements. And how many two-element groups do you know?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?