Why is SL(2,Z) the Outer-Automorphism Group of Z^2?

• Thread starter electroweak
  • Start date
In summary, the outer-automorphism group of Z^2 is SL(2,Z). The group Aut(Z^2) is isomorphic to GL(2,Z), and Inn(Z^2) is isomorphic to the trivial group. Therefore, the outer-automorphism group of Z^2 is equal to Aut(Z^2) divided by Inn(Z^2), which is also equal to GL(2,Z). This is different from applying the Dehn-Neilson theorem, which only holds for hyperbolic surfaces, to the torus, a parabolic surface. Thank you for clarifying this confusion.
electroweak
I know that the outer-automorphism group of Z^2 is SL(2,Z). Can someone please show me why this is the case? I think Aut(Z^2)=GL(2,Z), but what about Inn(Z^2)? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you know that it's SL(2,Z)? (It's not.)

Note that Z^2 is abelian, so Inn(Z^2) = ? and consequently Out(Z^2) = ?.

Aut(Z^2)=GL(2,Z), and Inn(Z^2)=Z^2/center(Z^2)=1, so that Out(Z^2)=Aut/Inn=GL(2,Z), right? OK, I figured out what was confusing me; I was applying the Dehn-Neilson theorem (which only holds on hyperbolic surfaces) to the torus (a parabolic surface). This would have equated Out(Z^2) and SL(2,Z). Thanks for confirming my suspicions!

Why is SL(2,Z) the Outer-Automorphism Group of Z^2?

The group SL(2,Z) is the special linear group of 2x2 matrices with integer entries and determinant 1. This group has a special property that makes it the outer-automorphism group of Z^2.

What is the significance of SL(2,Z) being the Outer-Automorphism Group of Z^2?

The outer-automorphism group of a group is a measure of its symmetry and structure. In the case of Z^2, the fact that its outer-automorphism group is SL(2,Z) tells us that Z^2 has a rich and interesting structure.

How does SL(2,Z) relate to the modular group?

The modular group is a subgroup of SL(2,Z) and is generated by two elements, known as the matrices S and T. These two elements form a basis for the outer-automorphism group of Z^2.

What are some applications of SL(2,Z) being the Outer-Automorphism Group of Z^2?

One application of this fact is in the study of modular forms, which are functions that transform in a certain way under the action of the modular group. These forms have important applications in number theory, algebraic geometry, and physics.

Are there other groups that have SL(2,Z) as their Outer-Automorphism Group?

Yes, there are other groups that have SL(2,Z) as their outer-automorphism group, such as the Heisenberg group and some other higher dimensional groups. However, the modular group is the most well-known and extensively studied example.