• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Autonomous DE Question

Homework Statement

Suppose that [tex] y(t) [/tex] is a solution of the initial value problem
[tex] dy/dt = y(1-.0005y) , y(0) = 1 [/tex]
What is the limit [tex] \lim_{t\to\infty}y(t) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If I try just separating it to solve for [tex]y(t)[/tex] then I get [tex]\int{{dy}/{(y-.0005y^2)}} = x+C[/tex] which I can't figure out how to solve. I'm at a loss as to what else to do. Is there some way I should be able to predict the behaviour of the function with just the initial value and the DE, or am I missing something about how to evaluate the integral or solve the DE? I tried predicting what the function would do based on what I was given, but I got the wrong answer and figured it was because I was doing it based on the y values, but not knowing the actual function I didn't know which y values would occur as t went to infinity.

Answers and Replies

gabbagabbahey
Homework Helper
Gold Member
You can solve the DE by using partial fraction decomposition, but that isn't really necessary here.

Instead, look at where [itex]y(t)[/itex] is increasing/decreasing and what turning points it has. Start by looking at [itex]t=0[/itex] - is the function increasing or decreasing there? A small time later, is the function increasing or decreasing? Does it eventually reach some turning point and start increasing/deceasing towards some finite value as [itex]t \to \infty[/itex]?

Ah, I see it now. I was getting a little mixed up with the y's and the t's, and I wasn't thinking about the fact that once it settles into an equilibrium value it's not gonna change anymore. Thanks.