What exactly are pants on a car?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, "pants" on a car are also known as skirts or spats. They were first described as "pants" and used for the streamlining effect by Frank Lockhart on a 1928 Stutz land speed record attempt car. They were later used on production cars, such as the 1952 Chevy Deluxe, and are still used on some modern cars, such as the 2015 Volkswagen XL1.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Executive Summary: What are "pants" on a car?

A long time ago I read story set in the 1930s (full disclosure: it was a Doc Savage novel) wherein the vehicle he was driving was described in detail. One term that was used was that the car had "pants" - as if that's a self-explanatory term.

I've always assumed that "pants" were covers for the rear wheels but I have not been able to verify this - even in this age of The Intertoobs.(This came up today when I spotted this fancy-schmancy-lookin' new Honda.)

cc_2018hoc160001_640_wa.jpg

So. "Pants" are ...?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right -- they're also called skirts or spats.
First described as "pants", they were used for the streamlining effect by Frank Lockhart on a 1928 Stutz land speed record attempt car.[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_skirts

Likes dlgoff and DaveC426913
Thank you.
Purged. Freed up some valuable processing space.

Likes dlgoff and sysprog
This streamlined hybrid VW is asserted to get up to 240 MPG:

Volkswagen_XL_driver_side.jpg

2015 Volkswagen XL1

sysprog said:
This streamlined hybrid VW is asserted to get up to 240 MPG:

2015 Volkswagen XL1
That's a figure from Volkswagen, right? 'cuz we know they'd never misreport numbers ... :-p

Likes sysprog

1. What are pants on a car?

Pants on a car refer to the decorative fabric that is sometimes placed over the wheels of a car for aesthetic purposes.

2. Why do people put pants on their cars?

People may put pants on their cars for a variety of reasons, such as to add a personal touch to their vehicle or to protect the wheels from dirt and debris.

3. Are pants on a car a functional addition?

No, pants on a car are not a functional addition. They do not serve any practical purpose and are purely for decoration.

4. Where did the term "pants on a car" originate?

The term "pants on a car" is believed to have originated in the 1950s when people would attach fabric or covers over their car wheels to mimic the style of a horse-drawn carriage.

5. Can pants on a car be damaging to the vehicle?

In most cases, pants on a car will not cause any damage to the vehicle. However, if the fabric is not securely attached, it may get caught in the wheels and cause damage. It is important to ensure that the pants are properly installed and do not interfere with the car's movement.

Back