Is the forum compressing my avatar image?

• Thread starter Matterwave
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the compression of avatar images on a forum. The original poster is experiencing fuzziness in their 300x300 avatar, while another user sees it as clear but smaller. The forum may be compressing the images to 96x96, and it is suggested that the quality may be upgraded in the future. The original poster may need to re-upload their avatar after the changes are made.
Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi, is the forum compressing my avatar image? I made a 300x300 avatar, and it is very clear (the original resolution is quite high), but on PF it looks very fuzzy. Is there some compression of the file going on? How can I make it not fuzzy? It annoys me -.-

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks great to me! There is compression. I'll have to check exactly what. Once we connect back with the CDN we might be able to up the quality.

It looks fuzzy to me...especially when I click it. T_T

I hope the quality is upgraded! Let me know if I have to re-upload my avatar once the changes are in place. Thanks! :D

Looks to me like the avatars are resized to 96x96. At least that's what I see here (and I don't think they are resized by the browser, most likely they are sent already resized to 96x96).

1. What is Avatar image compression?

Avatar image compression is a method of reducing the file size of an image while preserving its visual quality. It is commonly used for profile pictures or avatars on social media platforms.

2. How does Avatar image compression work?

Avatar image compression works by removing unnecessary data from an image file, such as redundant pixels or color information. This reduces the overall file size without significantly affecting the image quality.

3. What are the benefits of using Avatar image compression?

The main benefit of using Avatar image compression is that it allows for faster loading times and less storage space required for the image. This is particularly useful for websites and applications that use a large number of avatars.

4. Are there any drawbacks to Avatar image compression?

One potential drawback of Avatar image compression is that it may result in a loss of image quality if the compression is too severe. This can be avoided by using a compression algorithm that balances file size reduction with image quality preservation.

5. What are some common techniques used in Avatar image compression?

Some common techniques used in Avatar image compression include subsampling, which reduces the amount of color information in an image, and Huffman coding, which assigns shorter codes to more frequently used colors in the image.