• Thread starter Gold Barz
  • Start date
In summary, according to the weightlifting colonel, the floating mountains could contain a room temperature superconductor ore which levitates in a presence of magnetic field. Although no such material is known to exist, it's still actively sought by researchers.
Gold Barz
I read somewhere that James Cameron made the planet Pandora as scientifically plausible as possible according to his scientific advisers.

Are the Na'vi's physically possible? having a humanoid structure and being like 10 feet tall and being so athletic like they were in the movie. Also, how their skeletal structure was coated in carbon fiber, it was also interesting how they could bond with the plant and animal life on the planet with their "hair".

Is this all scientifically possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gold Barz said:
Are the Na'vi's physically possible? having a humanoid structure and being like 10 feet tall and being so athletic like they were in the movie.

With the low gravity, I don't think their athleticism is surprising, and the height is fairly natural.

Gold Barz said:
Also, how their skeletal structure was coated in carbon fiber, it was also interesting how they could bond with the plant and animal life on the planet with their "hair".

Is this all scientifically possible?

The hair was implausible for me for many reasons: no adaptive advantage for receivers, communication being much too hard, etc. Carbon-fiber coating, no problem.

Its more of a biological question. whether or not it is biologically possible?
I am going to have to say maybe.
If they were not carbon based life forms, but silicon based, they may be able to have the electromagnetic connection they share with plants. However, this doesn't explain the "naturally occurring Carbon Fiber" on their bones.
Of course, there is the debate regarding the atmosphere on Pandora, there may be some chemical in their air that stimulated these abnormalities.
However, I also believe that the "goldilocks zone" (the area in space in which life occurs) only allows for a certain type of life. The current life on Earth.

Low gravity? The gravity certainly didn't seem low to me.

I'd also like to say that this movie was friggin awesome!

ideasrule said:

Did you miss the floating mountains?

ideasrule said:
Well according to the weightlifting colonel, it was.

Lucky that they had evolved hairless bodies, hair is a real pain to render.

The floating mountains could contain a room temperature superconductor ores which levitate in a presence of magnetic field. Although no such material is known to exist, but it's still actively sought by researchers.

So what do you think of Cameron's attempt at being somewhat possible, how would you grade it? Would you say it is a pretty good attempt or was there no thought involved at all similar to movies like Day After Tomorrow, War of the Worlds, etc.
Edit/Delete Message

waht said:
The floating mountains could contain a room temperature superconductor ores which levitate in a presence of magnetic field. Although no such material is known to exist, but it's still actively sought by researchers.
The only thing about that solution that bothered me was a lack of smaller debris (via natural erosion). Why would this be limited to larger samples (mountains)?

Can't (a version of) the flying mountains be floating objects at geostationary orbit?

EnumaElish said:
Can't (a version of) the flying mountains be floating objects at geostationary orbit?
No because water is falling down from them - and people (or things) aren't floating on them

ideasrule said:

They addressed this at least once near the beginning of the film.

mgb_phys said:
No because water is falling down from them - and people (or things) aren't floating on them
How about a space-elevator kind of thing, held together with really strong plants? (Ignoring the question how they got there in the first place.)

They are on a moon around a gas giant, so you could have a magnetic material in the mountain rocks being held in the flux between the moon and the planet - rather like the field between Jupiter and Io. That would also explain why the instruments didn't work.

russ_watters said:
Well according to the weightlifting colonel, it was.

Yes, but according to the speed of freefalling objects and the fact that humans could walk normally on the surface, it wasn't.

the bottom part of the mountains were just invisible, or in a state of quantum flux, that's all

(though, I haven't seen the movie)

I can't believe I am getting into this (I'm not even a trekkie) but:
The unobtanium (!) was a room temp superconductor, see the bit floating on the stand in the managers office - if the mountains contained this stuff and were in a magnetic field between a gas giant and it's moon they could float.

ideasrule said:
Yes, but according to the speed of freefalling objects and the fact that humans could walk normally on the surface, it wasn't.

And what is the speed of freefalling objects? Acceleration due to gravity on Earth its 9.8 m/s^2, on the moon its 1.62 m/s^2. Any value below 9.8 and above 1.62 could be present on Pandora.

If they weigh 170 pounds on Earth and g on Pandora was 4.9 m/s^2 they would weigh 85 pounds. Time it would take them to hit the ground jumping from a 100 meter height on Earth would be 4.5 seconds, and 6.38 seconds on Pandora, assuming no air resistance. Do the math before condemning a work of art.

And as for floating rocks/supermagnet concept I believe I've answered that question https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=364626&p=2505170"
cronxeh said:
the rocks are superconductors and the tree flux is a magnetic flux. Diamagnetic superconductor rocks are stable in z-axis and combined with lower graviation they stay relatively stationary in one place, supported by vegetation.

Refer to this awesomeness I've attached for time it would take to hit ground vs acceleration due to gravity (g) for a 100 meter height jump

Last edited by a moderator:
rewebster said:
the bottom part of the mountains were just invisible, or in a state of quantum flux, that's all

(though, I haven't seen the movie)

And when they flew under the mountains?

DaveC426913 said:
And when they flew under the mountains?

He was kidding, the mountain are not in state of quantum flux obviously. Any quantum state would've collapsed upon observation and we would see the mountains. rewebster, you sir, have made a terrible science joke and Mr. David Bohm would kick you square in the pants.

cronxeh said:
He was kidding, the mountain are not in state of quantum flux obviously.
Well, he did suggest they could be invisible...

If the floating mountains are a result of magnetic flux between moon and planet, what good would the mineral be to others?

rewebster has a square in his pants?

Newai said:
If the floating mountains are a result of magnetic flux between moon and planet, what good would the mineral be to others?

rewebster has a square in his pants?

Magnetic flux is not a result of moon-planet interaction.

The superconducting 'rock' is very useful in magnetic levitation - for trains that travel at super-duper high speeds. The price for such material would be high and worth it.

I think maybe if the gravity matrix entered a state of positronic flux (I believe this can only happen in a four dimensional multiverse), the mountains could float. But blue people? No way.

The craziest **** you can imagine is scientifically possible in virtual reality. The whole thing could have very well been contrived with a sufficiently fast computer.

Tobias Funke said:
But blue people? No way.

And what do you base that definitive conclusion on?

Blue bird, blue frog, blue snake, blue penguin, blue turtle, blue whale, blue .. balls?

Last edited:
I think he was being sarcastic.

ideasrule said:
I think he was being sarcastic.

man i am really bad at sarcasm :frown:

cronxeh said:
blue bird, blue frog, blue snake, blue penguin, blue turtle, blue whale, blue .. Balls?

lmfao

What about the engines on the air craft used by the Humans? I didn't catch the first hour of the movie, but don't the engines need oxygen to run efficiently? Or were they set up to run on this different gas?

The low gravity also explains how the transport ship was able to stay in the air while it was assaulting the rib cage place.

1. Is it possible for humans to transfer their consciousness into another body like in Avatar?

At this time, there is no scientific evidence or technology that allows for the transfer of consciousness between bodies. However, there have been studies and experiments on transferring memories and information between brains, which could potentially lead to advancements in this field in the future.

2. Can a planet like Pandora with a rich biodiversity and floating mountains exist?

While it is possible for a planet to have a diverse range of flora and fauna, the floating mountains depicted in Avatar are not scientifically possible. The laws of physics do not support the existence of such mountains, as they would require a strong magnetic field or anti-gravity technology to keep them afloat.

3. Is it possible for humans to genetically engineer themselves to have tails and other features like the Na'vi?

Genetic engineering is a rapidly advancing field, but it is currently not possible to genetically engineer humans to have tails or other features like the Na'vi. These features would require significant changes to human DNA, and the technology to do so is not yet available.

4. Can humans breathe on a planet with a different atmosphere like Pandora?

It is possible for humans to adapt to a different atmosphere, but it would require significant changes to our bodies. The atmosphere on Pandora is composed of mostly nitrogen and oxygen, similar to Earth, but with a higher concentration of carbon dioxide. It is likely that humans would need to undergo genetic modifications or use specialized breathing equipment to survive on such a planet.

5. Are the neural connections between the Na'vi and animals like the "bonding" depicted in Avatar scientifically possible?

The concept of "bonding" between the Na'vi and animals is not currently possible with our current understanding of neuroscience. However, there are ongoing studies and research on the potential for telepathic communication and control between humans and animals, which could lead to advancements in this area in the future.