Avatar from URL - Failed Upload & Image Linking Questions

• Thread starter Redbelly98
  • Start date
In summary, the avatar link failed for some reason. Greg says that it might be because of a permissions problem. He recommends uploading the image from the hard drive instead. Images in signatures are not allowed, but I've already posted some holiday avatars.
Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I just tried to change my avatar by linking to a url from another website, but it failed for some reason. Here is the message I get:

Upload failed due to failure writing temporary file.​

Does anybody know why this failed? To make it work, I uploaded the image from my hard drive instead.
BTW, the image is at http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f282/redbelly98/PhysicsForums/RedbellyAvatar_tiny-tim.gif

Another related question: when linking an avatar to a url, does the image file actually upload to PF's server, or is the external url location used to display the avatar (as is done with images and [ img] tags)? Reason I'm asking is some holiday avatars I'd like to use temporarily would exceed the 19.5 kB file size limit. But if something like [ img] tags are used to point to the external url, that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks,

RB

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure if this feature works. I tried it with your image but I got the same message. Greg will be able to enlighten us.

Buddha Greg says "A permissions problem it might be. Much thought and investigation will be done."

Thank you oh wise one. :smile:

On a slightly related note, what is the policy on images for signatures because I noticed they could not be uploaded even from the hard drive?

Kurdt said:
On a slightly related note, what is the policy on images for signatures because I noticed they could not be uploaded even from the hard drive?

Images in the signature are a no no. It's not policy because the ability is disabled :)

Ok. Just wondered since the signature page still contained the image upload "pane" last time I looked.

Kurdt said:
Ok. Just wondered since the signature page still contained the image upload "pane" last time I looked.
We had images available in signatures once.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Buddha Greg says "A permissions problem it might be. Much thought and investigation will be done."

Greg,

Thanks in advance.

Are you going to save these so that we have a gallery of them? You should start a thread in GD with all of your avavtar variations!

I've started a blog with avatars that honor other members:
https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=583
It has just one right now, but that should change as I add more 2008 Awardees.

At some point I'll probably start another blog with my holiday and special-occasion avatars. Hmmm, if you don't see that within a week, feel free to bug me about it.

EDIT
Okay, holiday avatars are here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=588

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why is my avatar from URL upload failing?

There could be several reasons for a failed avatar from URL upload. It could be due to an incorrect image URL, the image being too large, or the website not allowing hotlinking. Try using a different image URL or resizing the image before attempting to upload again.

2. How can I fix an "invalid image" error when trying to link my avatar from URL?

An "invalid image" error typically means that the URL you are trying to use is not a direct link to the image file. Make sure the URL ends with an image file extension (such as .jpg or .png) and that it is a direct link to the image.

3. Can I use an image from any website as my avatar from URL?

No, not all websites allow hotlinking which means you cannot use their images for your avatar from URL. Make sure to check the website's terms of use or contact the owner of the website for permission before using their image.

4. What is the maximum file size for an avatar from URL upload?

The maximum file size for an avatar from URL upload may vary depending on the website or platform you are using. It is recommended to keep the file size below 1 MB to ensure a smooth upload process.

5. How do I change my avatar from URL after it has been uploaded?

To change your avatar from URL, you will need to upload a new image with a different URL. Some websites or platforms may also allow you to edit your avatar from URL by simply replacing the old URL with a new one. Check the website or platform's settings or help section for more information on how to change your avatar from URL.