Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1. Dec 11, 2008 #1

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I just tried to change my avatar by linking to a url from another website, but it failed for some reason. Here is the message I get:

Upload failed due to failure writing temporary file.​

Does anybody know why this failed? To make it work, I uploaded the image from my hard drive instead.
    BTW, the image is at http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f282/redbelly98/PhysicsForums/RedbellyAvatar_tiny-tim.gif

Another related question: when linking an avatar to a url, does the image file actually upload to PF's server, or is the external url location used to display the avatar (as is done with images and [ img] tags)? Reason I'm asking is some holiday avatars I'd like to use temporarily would exceed the 19.5 kB file size limit. But if something like [ img] tags are used to point to the external url, that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks,

RB

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not sure if this feature works. I tried it with your image but I got the same message. Greg will be able to enlighten us.

4. Dec 12, 2008 #3
    Buddha Greg says "A permissions problem it might be. Much thought and investigation will be done."

5. Dec 12, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank you oh wise one. :smile:

On a slightly related note, what is the policy on images for signatures because I noticed they could not be uploaded even from the hard drive?

6. Dec 12, 2008 #5
    Images in the signature are a no no. It's not policy because the ability is disabled :)

7. Dec 12, 2008 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok. Just wondered since the signature page still contained the image upload "pane" last time I looked.

8. Dec 12, 2008 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

We had images available in signatures once.

9. Dec 12, 2008 #8

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Greg,

Thanks in advance.

10. Dec 13, 2008 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Are you going to save these so that we have a gallery of them? You should start a thread in GD with all of your avavtar variations!!!

11. Dec 13, 2008 #10

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?