Do I have to be a paying member to have an avatar?

• Thread starter skywise
  • Start date
In summary, users who had custom avatars prior to the recent PF upgrade still have those avatars even though they are not contributors.
skywise
Do I have to be a paying member to have an avatar? If not, I'm confused as to how to enable one from my user cp.

Physics news on Phys.org
Avatars are activated for Premium members - https://www.physicsforums.com/subscriptions.php [Broken]

Last edited:
That's what I thought. I was :confused: because I see people who don't have the "PF contributer" star beneath their name and yet they have an avatar. Do they just choose to omit the label beneath their name?

Users that had a custom avatar prior to the recent PF upgrade still have those avatars even though they are not contributors.

Evo said:
Users that had a custom avatar prior to the recent PF upgrade still have those avatars even though they are not contributors.

Actually that should have been taken care of a couple weeks ago.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Actually that should have been taken care of a couple weeks ago.
They're going away too? How do I buy someone else a premium membership?

Thanks Greg! You are the best!

Greg,
Did you forget then to remove my avatar ?

boulderhead! welcome back! missed your posting!

Hi Kerry !
Thank you very much for the kind words.

Welcome back, BoulderHead! I missed your wandering eye! :biggrin:

Hi Tsunami, and thank you for the greeting!
I had another eye being prepared to replace this one with, but PF is very much a different place than I remember and this wandering eye may be removed entirely as I'm not at present a contributor. That horrible flashing red banner proclaiming me a winner has already given me a winning headache, and an urge to wander off to bed beckons. :D

Greg Bernhardt said:
Thank you! Jimmy it's your lucky day! :smile:

If only I had looked on here all the way back then instead of wondering if I was drunk one night and registered. But Evo explained anyway... once again thanks to her, and my tribute in my signature still lives on!

1. Why do I have to be a paying member to have an avatar?

Having an avatar on a website often requires additional storage space and resources, which is why many websites only offer avatars to their paying members. This helps cover the cost of maintaining the website and providing new features for its members.

2. Can I have an avatar without being a paying member?

In some cases, websites may offer free avatars to all users, regardless of their membership status. However, these avatars may have limited customization options and may not be as high quality as the ones offered to paying members. It ultimately depends on the policies of the website.

3. Are there any benefits to having a paying membership for avatars?

Yes, paying members often have access to a wider range of avatars to choose from, as well as the ability to upload their own custom avatars. They may also have access to exclusive avatar features, such as animated avatars or special effects.

4. Is having an avatar necessary for using the website?

No, having an avatar is not necessary for using a website, but it can enhance your experience and make it more personalized. It is ultimately up to the individual to decide if they want to have an avatar on the website.

5. Can I change my avatar if I am a paying member?

Yes, most websites allow paying members to change their avatar as often as they'd like. Some may even offer the option to have multiple avatars and switch between them. However, it is important to check the website's policies to see if there are any restrictions on changing avatars.