1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average acceleration using vectors please help

1. Sep 17, 2007 #1
    At one instant a bicyclist is 30 m due east of a park's flagpole, going due south with a speed of 18 m/s. Then, 14 s later, the cyclist is 45 m due north of the flagpole, going due east with a speed of 9 m/s. For the cyclist in this 14 s interval, find each of the following.
    A)average acceleration

What i did was, i used the fact that a=v/t. So i pluged in a=(9+(-18))/14. The acceleration I got was 1.93. that is the wrong answer. Can someone please tell what i did wrong and help me figure out a way to get the angle. thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

velocity and acceleration are vectors... can you write the two velocities in vector form... (use i and j vectors). Then calculate average acceleration just as you did, but you'll be subtracting two vectors...

4. Sep 17, 2007 #3
    sorry i missed type what i did i did subtract i did a=9-(-18)/14 and i got 1.93. i know the answer is 1.37 but i dont know how to get it

5. Sep 17, 2007 #4

learningphysics

Homework Helper

You can't subtract like that because east and south aren't along the same line... write the two velocities as vectors (using i for east west... j for north south).

For example: 20m/s west is

[tex]\vec{v} = -20\vec{i}[/tex]

20m/s north is:
    [tex]\vec{v} = 20\vec{j}[/tex]

Does this make sense?

If the notation doesn't make sense... then try it like this... what is the average acceleration in the east west direction (taking east as positive) ?

what is the average acceleration in the north south direction (taking north as positive) ?

What is the magnitude of the net acceleration?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?