1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average Acceleration

1. Oct 22, 2006 #1
    Hi, this may seem like a silly question, but I'm gunna ask it anyway...

I have the ff. data for acceleration:

When I calculate the average acceleration, would it be the sum divided by 6 or would it be the sum divided by 5? That is, should I include the "0" in calculating my average?

Thanks in advance~
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Since 0 is a value as any other one, you must include it.
  4. Oct 22, 2006 #3

5. Oct 22, 2006 #4
    Hmm.. sorry, follow-up question...

What if I'm calculating my average acceleration for gravity, do I need to include the "0" then?

It's just that when I didn't include the "0" on my calculations, it was nearer the true value of "g" (9.81)
    But when I included zero in calculating my average, it was a little far off....

ps: i'm doing my lab on calculating "g" free-falling object
  6. Oct 22, 2006 #5

Homework Helper

Hm, in that case, if 0 is the value that was attained while the object was being held (which is obvious), then you shouldn't include it. (Unless I'm missing something.)
  7. Oct 22, 2006 #6
    Oh sorry, I guess you are right! Actually, the Time column shows "0" but the Acceleration column shows blank (so was the Velocity & Distance columns for the first row). I just assumed initial Acceleration will be 0 and include it on calculating the average acceleration, when in fact like you said it shouldn't be included cuz the object was being held initially, before I dropped it.

Gah.. I feel stupid! Thanks for your help :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?