Calculate Average Acceleration of Non-Uniform Cylinder Down Inclined Plane

In summary, the problem is to calculate the average acceleration of a non-uniform cylinder down an inclined plane. The suggested equation of d=vt+0.5at^2 may not work without knowing the initial velocity and distance. The questioner suggests using the normal acceleration of dropping something and considering the angle of the incline to find a suitable function for the problem.
Qwertyuiop123

Homework Statement

Calculate the average acceleration of a non-uniform cylinder (large can of tomato soup) down an inclined plane.

Homework Equations

What equation should I use?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the equation I should use is d=vt+0.5at^2, but I am not sure. If I use that equation, is there anything I have to assume?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can use that equation. You'd have to know the distance and the initial velocity. Well, really, you could assume the distance to be anything and velocity to be 0 at start, but you'd have to know how long it took you to travel that distance.

So no, it won't work.

Is that honestly the entire question? If it is, then I can help a bit. What is the normal acceleration of just dropping something? Now, when you put it on an incline, it slows down, right? As in, it will still go down, but not as fast.

And if you put it on a flat surface, it won't fall at all. Okay, so at 90º it's full acceleration, and at 0º it's 0. Do you know of any function that works like that?

The equation you have suggested, d=vt+0.5at^2, is the equation for displacement, not acceleration. To calculate the average acceleration of the non-uniform cylinder down the inclined plane, you will need to use the equation a=(vf-vi)/t, where a is the average acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

In order to use this equation, you will need to measure the final and initial velocities of the cylinder as it moves down the inclined plane, and also measure the time it takes for the cylinder to reach the bottom of the plane. However, since the cylinder is non-uniform, its velocity and acceleration may not be constant throughout its motion. In this case, you will need to use calculus to find the average acceleration by taking the derivative of the velocity function with respect to time.

Additionally, you may need to make some assumptions about the properties of the cylinder, such as its mass, shape, and surface friction, in order to accurately calculate its acceleration. It is important to consider these factors in your calculations to ensure a more precise result.

What is the formula for calculating the average acceleration of a non-uniform cylinder down an inclined plane?

The formula for calculating the average acceleration of a non-uniform cylinder down an inclined plane is average acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time. This formula applies to any object, including a non-uniform cylinder, moving down an inclined plane.

What is the difference between uniform and non-uniform acceleration?

Uniform acceleration refers to the constant change in velocity over time, whereas non-uniform acceleration refers to the changing acceleration over time. In other words, the acceleration of a non-uniform cylinder down an inclined plane will vary as it moves down the slope, while a cylinder experiencing uniform acceleration will have a constant change in velocity over time.

What factors can affect the average acceleration of a non-uniform cylinder down an inclined plane?

The average acceleration of a non-uniform cylinder down an inclined plane can be affected by several factors, including the mass and shape of the cylinder, the angle of the incline, and the presence of any external forces such as friction.

How can the average acceleration of a non-uniform cylinder down an inclined plane be measured?

The average acceleration of a non-uniform cylinder down an inclined plane can be measured using a variety of methods, such as using a motion sensor, calculating the change in velocity over time using a stopwatch, or using a force sensor to measure the external forces acting on the cylinder.

Can the average acceleration of a non-uniform cylinder down an inclined plane ever be negative?

Yes, the average acceleration of a non-uniform cylinder down an inclined plane can be negative if the cylinder is moving up the incline or if the external forces acting on the cylinder are causing it to slow down. In this case, the final velocity would be lower than the initial velocity, resulting in a negative average acceleration value.