Calculating Average Acceleration: Solving a Sports Car Stopping Distance Problem

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the average acceleration of a sports car that can stop in a distance of 44 m from a speed of 95 km/h. The calculated value of 7.9 m/s2 is not being accepted, but it is confirmed to be the correct answer. There is a discussion on whether the acceleration should be negative or not, and the possibility of rounding off the velocity to one significant decimal is suggested. The conversation concludes with the realization that the sign of the acceleration was the issue.
slayerdeus
A sports car is advertised to be able to stop in a distance of 44 m from a speed of 95 km/h. What is its [average] acceleration in m/s2? How many g's is this (g = 9.80 m/s2)?

I have 7.9 m/s2, as my answer for average acceleration, but webassign isn't accepting my answer. Can someone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you arrive at that answer?

I used v^2-vo^2=2a(x-xo

Have to convert to m/s so vo=26.38 m/s, vf=0

Looks right to me; however:
Did you remember the sign on the acceleration?

That's about what I can think of, unless you were supposed to enter the number of g's the acceleration is in

Not 26.39?

yea its 26.38888888888 m/s, no it asks for g's in another questions and when I do 7.9/9.8 it says that answer is correct. I wonder if this method is average acceleration or is it instantaneous?

It absolutely cannot be the inst. acceleration they're after; in order to know this, you would need a lot more information (effect of brakes, frictional coefficient etc.)

Since your second answer is correct, I can see only 2 possibilities:
a) The machine is wrong
b) It requires a sign for the acceleration

On second thought: Have you tried using velocity 26.4 and rounding off to one significant decimal?

Still average. You have no knowledge of the interior, only the endpoints.

cookiemonster

Okay, thanks mucho. It was the sign :rolleyes:

What is average acceleration?

Average acceleration is a measure of the change in an object's velocity over a given period of time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time interval in which the change occurred.

How is average acceleration different from instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the overall change in velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration takes into account the entire time interval, while instantaneous acceleration only considers a single point.

What are the units of measurement for average acceleration?

The units of measurement for average acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s^2) in the metric system and feet per second squared (ft/s^2) in the imperial system.

How is average acceleration represented graphically?

Average acceleration can be represented graphically by plotting the change in velocity (y-axis) over the time interval (x-axis). The slope of the line on the graph represents the average acceleration.

What are some real-world examples of average acceleration?

An object falling due to gravity, a car accelerating from a stop sign, and a rocket launching into space are all examples of average acceleration. In each case, the velocity of the object changes over a given period of time, resulting in an average acceleration.