Calculating Horse Speed: Average Acceleration

In summary, average acceleration for a horse is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. Horse speed is typically measured in miles per hour (mph) or kilometers per hour (km/h) and acceleration can be measured in miles per hour per second (mph/s) or meters per second squared (m/s^2). When calculating horse speed, it is important to consider factors such as terrain and weather. While it is possible to estimate a horse's speed during a race, it is difficult to calculate it accurately due to changing conditions and other factors. Horses are known for their impressive acceleration abilities and can reach speeds of up to 55 miles per hour, making them comparable to other fast animals such as cheetahs and
justin32089

Homework Statement

Running with an initial velocity of 12 m/s, a horse has an average acceleration of -1.79 m/s^2

How long does it take for the horse to decrease its velocity to 7.0m/s ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ok i got the answer is 2.8 seconds however i got there by adding -1.79 to 12 twice then figuing out the fraction of -1.79 needed to get the velocity down to 7.0.

i was wondering the correct way to do this as it has stumped me
thank you
Justin

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] a_{average} = \frac{V_f - V_i}{\Delta t}[/tex]

1. How is average acceleration calculated for a horse?

Average acceleration for a horse is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. What units are used to measure horse speed and acceleration?

Horse speed is typically measured in miles per hour (mph) or kilometers per hour (km/h). Acceleration can be measured in miles per hour per second (mph/s) or meters per second squared (m/s^2).

3. How do you account for factors such as terrain and weather when calculating horse speed?

When calculating horse speed, it is important to consider factors such as terrain and weather. These can affect the horse's ability to accelerate and maintain a consistent speed. One way to account for these factors is to conduct multiple trials in different conditions and calculate the average speed.

4. Is it possible to accurately calculate a horse's speed during a race?

While it is possible to estimate a horse's speed during a race, it is difficult to calculate it accurately due to the changing conditions and factors such as rider weight and strategy. Additionally, a horse's speed can vary depending on the length of the race and its endurance.

5. How does a horse's average acceleration compare to other animals?

The average acceleration of a horse can vary depending on the breed, age, and training of the individual animal. However, in general, horses are known for their impressive acceleration abilities and can reach speeds of up to 55 miles per hour. This puts them on par with other fast animals such as cheetahs and greyhounds.