1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average acceleration

1. Jun 18, 2012 #1
    A 52.0-g Super Ball traveling at 28.0 m/s bounces off a brick wall and rebounds at 16.5 m/s. A high-speed camera records this event. If the ball is in contact with the wall for 3.60 ms, what is the magnitude of the average acceleration of the ball during this time interval?

Im not really sure what formula to use for this problem. I don't think the mass of the ball is relevant to the average acceleration but not sure. I know average acceleration is
    v(final)-v(initial)/t(final)-t(initial)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's the one you need. Hint: Velocity is a vector, so direction--and signs--matter.

4. Jun 18, 2012 #3
    ok i tried plugging into the equation is this correct 16.5-28/.0036? I converted the miliseconds to seconds for the denominator.

5. Jun 18, 2012 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

No. You made an error with signs. If the initial velocity is +28 m/s, what is the final velocity after the rebound?
    Good.

6. Jun 18, 2012 #5
    Oh gotcha! ok thanks!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook