Average amplitude of signal is zero, why?

In summary: However, for a Digital TV signal, the mean signal voltage would be zero all the time because there is no periodic signal.
Geek007
hi there,
Why does we need to have a signal which always has the average amplitude of zero. i read some where that it would be inefficient for over transmission medium to carry a signal which have amplitude great than zero. Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Geek007 said:
hi there,
Why does we need to have a signal which always has the average amplitude of zero. i read some where that it would be inefficient for over transmission medium to carry a signal which have amplitude great than zero. Why?
It is difficult for us to confirm or refute what you read "some where". By "amplitude", you presumably mean voltage or current or some similar quantity that can be positive or negative but which is most efficient when it averages to zero. Properly, the term "amplitude" is always a positive quantity that relates to the distance from peak to trough.

However, rather than addressing your question based on guesswork, we need for you to first produce a reference to what you read.

jbriggs444 said:
It is difficult for us to confirm or refute what you read "some where". By "amplitude", you presumably mean voltage or current or some similar quantity that can be positive or negative but which is most efficient when it averages to zero. Properly, the term "amplitude" is always a positive quantity that relates to the distance from peak to trough.

However, rather than addressing your question based on guesswork, we need for you to first produce a reference to what you read.
I think that the distance from peak to trough is 2 x Amplitude.

lychette said:
I think that the distance from peak to trough is 2 x Amplitude.
Which is the main reason that I wrote "related". Well, that and the [vain] hope that it would deflect someone from mentioning something about root-mean-square.

jbriggs444 said:
Which is the main reason that I wrote "related". Well, that and the [vain] hope that it would deflect someone from mentioning something about root-mean-square.
but you surely agree that it is half the distance from peak to trough.
I have never seen it put forward as anything else.

Geek007 said:
hi there,
We don't always need a signal with no DC offset. It depends entirely upon the case you are discussing and the form of modulation or nature of the signal. An example that does not follow that rule is a simple Analogue TV signal. If the picture is black for an hour then the mean signal voltage is just over 0.3V and, for a white picture, the mean signal voltage is just a little under 1V.

1. Why is the average amplitude of a signal zero?

The average amplitude of a signal is zero because it is the average value of all the positive and negative amplitudes in the signal. This means that for every positive amplitude, there is an equal and opposite negative amplitude, resulting in an overall average of zero.

2. Can the average amplitude of a signal ever be non-zero?

Yes, the average amplitude of a signal can be non-zero if there is an imbalance between positive and negative amplitudes. This can occur if the signal is not symmetrical, or if there are more positive or negative amplitudes in the signal.

3. How is the average amplitude of a signal calculated?

The average amplitude of a signal is calculated by adding all the amplitudes in the signal and dividing by the total number of amplitudes. This gives the mean or average value of the signal.

4. Does the average amplitude of a signal affect its overall strength or quality?

No, the average amplitude of a signal does not necessarily affect its overall strength or quality. It is just one measure of the signal and does not reflect its characteristics or complexity.

5. Why is the average amplitude of a signal important in signal processing?

The average amplitude of a signal is important in signal processing because it can provide information about the overall energy or power of the signal. It can also be used to normalize signals and compare them to each other.