Average and instantaneous power-

In summary, the power of a machine is the rate at which work is done on other objects. This is measured over a specific period of time, and even if the machine is running for a longer period, its power remains constant. This is because power measures the rate of work, not the total work done.
kajalove
hello

1.Power is defined as W / t. But problem is that the work done by the force increases with displacement, since body travels same distance in ever shorter time periods. So how can we find instantaneus power if the more time it passes by more work does force do in same time interval ?

P = W/t = F * s/t = F * s/t = F * v

I understand how we derived this formula but have no clue why it's legit.
For one thing v is average speed over distance s, so why can we use it in formula to get power?

I'm sorry for not being able to articulate my question any better(),
but I do hope someone will be able to figure out what I'm trying to ask and explain it .

3.Is P = F * v instantaneus power? If so, why would this formula give us instantaneus power?

4.Most machines are designed and built to do work on objects. These machines are described by a power rating. The power rating indicates the rate at which that machine can do work upon other objects. Thus, the power of a machine is the work/time ratio for that particular machine. Over what period of time is work measured for that machine?
Even if machine has power rating of 10kW/1 day, wouldn't in two days of non-stop running have even greater power?
I'm also aware that this can't go on for ever, since rotor or whatever at some point reaches its final speed and thus can no longer accelerate and have its kinetic energy changed. What happens then? Is at that moment power=zero?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
kajalove said:
hello

1.Power is defined as W / t. But problem is that the work done by the force increases with displacement, since body travels same distance in ever shorter time periods. So how can we find instantaneus power if the more time it passes by more work does force do in same time interval ?
Power will be a function of t. Essentially, you form the "average" power fracation and take the limit as the time interval goes to 0:
[tex]\frac{dW}{dt}[/tex]

P = W/t = F * s/t = F * s/t = F * v

I understand how we derived this formula but have no clue why it's legit.
For one thing v is average speed over distance s, so why can we use it in formula to get power?

I'm sorry for not being able to articulate my question any better(),
but I do hope someone will be able to figure out what I'm trying to ask and explain it .

3.Is P = F * v instantaneus power? If so, why would this formula give us instantaneus power?
As long as v is constant, average speed is the same as "instantaneous" speed. This formula works for F and v constant. If either or both are not constant, then, again, it becomes a derivative:
[tex]W= \int F(x)dx[/tex]
so
[tex]P= \frac{dW}{dt}= \frac{dW}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}= F(x(t))v[/tex]

4.Most machines are designed and built to do work on objects. These machines are described by a power rating. The power rating indicates the rate at which that machine can do work upon other objects. Thus, the power of a machine is the work/time ratio for that particular machine. Over what period of time is work measured for that machine?
Even if machine has power rating of 10kW/1 day, wouldn't in two days of non-stop running have even greater power?
I'm also aware that this can't go on for ever, since rotor or whatever at some point reaches its final speed and thus can no longer accelerate and have its kinetic energy changed. What happens then? Is at that moment power=zero?

thank you

Power measures RATE at which work is done. No, running for two days at full power, a machine would do more WORK but it's power is a constant.

Driving at 60 miles per hour for two hours, you would go farther than in one hour, but your speed would remain the same.

HallsofIvy said:
Power will be a function of t. Essentially, you form the "average" power fracation and take the limit as the time interval goes to 0:
[tex]\frac{dW}{dt}[/tex]
I know very little about derivatives but couldn't we find instantaneus power at specific time T by finding derivative of a function work(T)?

HallsofIvy said:
As long as v is constant, average speed is the same as "instantaneous" speed.
But if v is constant then no work is being performed and so by definition formula [tex]\frac{A}{t } = F\frac{s}{t}[/tex] shouldn't be valid!

HallsofIvy said:
kajalove said:
Power measures RATE at which work is done. No, running for two days at full power, a machine would do more WORK but it's power is a constant.

I don't think you understood my question. English isn't my first language so please have patience. We have a machine, a rotor of some kind that is spinning. That spinning rotor is doing work on objects it comes in contact with (perhaps it cuts grass - if that is the case, then it does work on grass).
Anyhow, for rotor to be doing any kind of work there must be same work (friction ignored) performed on rotor itself in order for rotor to be spinning.

BTW-I know formula for power when object is spinning is
[tex]P = torque*\frac{angle}{time}[/tex] ,

but since I haven't started learning that yet and since I'm interested in learning about power in general, I will allow myself some artistic freedom and pretend formula for power when object is roating is

[tex]P = F\frac{s}{t}[/tex] .

At time [tex]T1=0 AM[/tex] we apply force F on some point on rotor. So if this point at time [tex]T1=1 AM [/tex] travels (due to constant force F) distance [tex]s1=1000 km[/tex], we say it has [tex]power = F*s1/(T1-T0)[/tex] . Due to force being constant speed of rotor gets ever faster and in the first hour the traveled distance was 1000 km. But from time T1 to time T2 this same point will travel even greater distance and thus do more work in same time period due to its velocity being greater.
From time [tex]T1=1 AM[/tex] to time [tex]T2=2 AM[/tex] point on rotor travels distance [tex]s2[/tex] , where [tex]s2 - s1 > s1 [/tex] and

[tex] F * \frac{(s2-s1)}{(T2-T1)} > F * \frac{s1}{(T1-T0)}[/tex]

You see what's bothering me?

Last edited:
kajalove said:
But if v is constant then no work is being performed and so by definition formula [tex]\frac{A}{t } = F\frac{s}{t}[/tex] shouldn't be valid!
That isn't true. If v is constant, it only means the force is balanced by another force, like friction. But work is definitely being done.

1. What is the difference between average and instantaneous power?

Average power is the amount of power used or produced over a certain period of time, while instantaneous power is the power at a specific moment in time.

2. How is average power calculated?

Average power is calculated by dividing the total amount of energy used or produced by the time it took to use or produce that energy.

3. What units are used to measure power?

The standard unit of power is watts (W), but other common units include horsepower (hp) and kilowatts (kW).

4. How does instantaneous power relate to the rate of change of energy?

Instantaneous power is the rate of change of energy, meaning it measures how quickly energy is being used or produced at a specific moment in time.

5. Can average and instantaneous power be the same?

No, average and instantaneous power are different values and cannot be the same. Average power takes into account the total amount of energy used or produced, while instantaneous power only measures the power at a specific moment in time.