1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average angular acceleration back for more!

1. May 27, 2005 #1
    Hey again. It's that time of week, and once again I'm stumped. There are three problems, but we'll take them one at a time. The first is as follows:

A certain CD has a playing time of 68 minutes. When the music starts, the CD is rotating at an angular speed of 4.8x10^2 revolutions per minute (rpm). At the end of the music, the CD is rotating at 2.1x10^2 rpm. Find the magnitude of the average angular acceleration of the CD. Express your answer in rad/s^2.

What I've tried is to take the difference of the angular displacement (each divided by 60 to change to seconds), multiplied this by 2pi to change to radians, and divide that difference by 68 minutes (4080 seconds). The answer I get is -0.0069 rad/s^2...but this is wrong :uhh:

Here's the 'layout':

What have I done wrong??

Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2005 #2
    The only problem is that u have got a wrong sign, otherwise everything else is fine.

-- AI
  4. May 27, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Apparently, you did the arithmetic wrong! You analysis looks good but according to my calculator, ((210- 480)/60)(*2 pi)/4080)= -0.01206., not -0.0069.
  5. May 27, 2005 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks OK to me. Why do you think it's wrong?
  6. May 27, 2005 #5
    Tenali had it correct...the sign was backwards. I'm still not sure why that is, but it was correct. On to my second, relatively unrelated question:

A 65.0 kg person, running horizontally with a velocity of +4.06 m/s, jumps onto a 10.4 kg sled that is initially at rest.
    (a) Ignoring the effects of friction during the collision, find the velocity of the sled and person as they move away.

Which I figured out was 3.5 m/s...now my question:

(b) The sled and person coast 30.0 m on level snow before coming to rest. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the sled and the snow?

Any suggestions on how to go about solving this?
  7. May 27, 2005 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, if Tenali is right, then the answer is wrong.
    The disc is SLOWING DOWN from 480rpm to 210rpm.
    Last edited: May 27, 2005
  8. May 27, 2005 #7
    That's what I thought...as the work I did shows. Down with WebAssign! :rofl: Any thoughts on the second problem?
  9. May 27, 2005 #8
    Better idea...I'll post it to a new thread.
  10. May 27, 2005 #9
    Honest!! i did not set this question!!

-- AI
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?