1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average Angular Speed of Tower

1. Aug 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The top of a tower much like the leaning bell tower at Pisa, Italy, moves toward the south at an average rate of 1.4 mm/y. The tower is 59 m tall. In radians per second, what is the average angular speed of the tower's top about its base?

2. Relevant equations

ωavg=Δθ/Δt

3. The attempt at a solution

I first converted 1.4 mm/y :
    1.4mm/y = (1m/1000mm) × (1y/365days) × (1day/24hr) × (1hr/60min) × (1min/60sec) = 4.4394E-11
    Then, I divided the above answer by 59 m : (4.4394E-11)/59m = 7.5244E-13 rad/s but this wasn't correct. Where am I making my mistake? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2010 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks OK to me. I assume this is a computer-graded question. I see three possibilities (a) the formula that allows the machine to calculate the correct answer is incorrect, (b) you incorrectly entered the powers of 10 or (c) there is a problem with sig figs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook